Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that for most when they do an oil change on their Spider, they remove the air filter housing to access the oil filter.

I find this more of an inconvenience.

What oil filters would you recommend that you can change from the bottom when the car is on a lift?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
15,431 Posts
For the 164s and Milanos, we have been using the smaller filter for the 24V engine to make life easier. Don't know if that one is suitable for the Spider.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I will use Fram numbers in this discussion as it is a popular brand and I have a vintage Fram catalog on hand.

The recommended screw-on filter for 2000 Berlina/GTV/Spiders was always the huge PH7. Bulky, hard to remove, and not the most common filter around. Up to 1987, the same PH7 is listed for GTV6s and early Milanos. But starting in 1981, the filter listed for 2000 Spiders is PH16A, and from 1988 PH16A is also listed for the V6 - Milano then 164.

Let's look at the specs.

PH7 has a 111 mm OD, 106 mm length, a 3/4 screw thread, 8 to 10 psi relief valve setting, an anti-drain valve, and a 2.75 in gasket diameter.
PH16A has a 96,4 mm OD, 94,9 mm length, a 3/4 screw thread, 8 to 10 psi relief valve setting, an anti-drain valve, and a 2.82 in gasket.

For several years, I have been using on my 2000 GTVs (3 different cars over 20+ years) this size:
PH8A has a 96,8 mm OD, 130 mm length, a 3/4 screw thread, 8 to 10 psi relief valve setting, an anti-drain valve, and a 2.81 in gasket.

When we look at the applications section, PH7 fits Alfas and a bunch of industrial applications, explaining its lack of availability at the corner hardware/parts/grocery store. PH16A fits a bunch of Toyota, Ford, Chrysler, Fiat, Rootes, Opel, Renault applications, and so does PH8A - the latter includes most Ford 302 applications. You can find one by kicking on garbage can.

I like to use the Baldwin brand, a respected name on heavy-duty vehicles. PH7 = BT5, PH16A = B163, PH8A = B2. Note that all 3 are supplied with the same gasket (OD 2.81, ID 2.47).

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Hydro, I just looked at the Napa 1342 you use. It is geometrically compatible, but has a really high relief valve setting of 30 psi.

What does this mean: the relief valve normally doesn't do anything, until you neglect changing the oil and filter, or some other **** finds its way in the engine. Then the back pressure in the filter climbs, and the filter gradually moves out of the way, allowing unfiltered oil to circulate.

Some engines have a really low oil pressure at idle (the Lotus 907 comes to mind); a blocked filter would starve the engine if the valve does not open soon enough. Our Alfas have fairly high pressure; they can probably get away with it, as long as you use high viscosity oil such as 20W50. But I would rather use the filters in my previous post.

·
Registered
6,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have used Hastings LF134 in the past.

Not a popular filter brand wise.

Easy access for install underneath.

Any thoughts on Hastings in general?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
Hastings is a very good filter. ciao, chris

·
Premium Member
13,093 Posts
O'Reilly house brand is also the same as WIX and has the same number.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
I have used Fram for over 40 years and never had an issue. However, recently I have read Fram is inferior to other brands. Has anyone out there had a problem with Fram?

A Fram PH 16 changes from the top on our '85 spider with Weber conversion

BTW, I change the engine oil in all my vehicles at 3,000 miles. For my daily driver I generally purchase new, use a 3,000 mile oil change cycle and add up around 180k - 200k miles before I trade in and do it again.

·
Registered
6,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Napa 21521 is a much better choice. It has equivalent specs to the Ph16a.

Doug
This looks like a very large filter.

Can you change this from the bottom?

This thread is not about which oil filter you use, but which ones are more accessible for those that do not want to remove the air box.

Thanks

·
Registered
272 Posts
This looks like a very large filter.

Can you change this from the bottom?

This thread is not about which oil filter you use, but which ones are more accessible for those that do not want to remove the air box.

Thanks
:wink2:

·
Premium Member
13,093 Posts
I have seen the can of a Fram filter rupture on an Alfa race car.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
A+

Great Tread, is the reduced capacity of a smaller filter any concern?

Have seen several Alfa race cars filter's vibrate loose too, I put a safety wire on mine.

Side question, is hand tight really tight enough?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts