Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rebuilt my 2litre engine a while ago, but i didnt have time to really test it until this past weekend. So I let the engine Idle for about 5 minutes, checking for oil pressure and water temperature to stabilise etc. Eventually decide its good, so switch off the engine. I checked for oil leaks, and sure enough there is this big puddle underneath the engine. Tracing it, it seems to come from just above the Distributor! Its just below the head, so it doesnt seem like it is the head that is leaking. I coulnt fiddle around too much as I was running out of time, but will be able to look at it propperly the next weekend. Any obvious things in that area that could cause a substancial leak? The distributor isn't 100% tightened yet, as I am still fiddling with the timing, but the oil seems to come from quite a bit above the distributor base, so I dont think it would be that...

Its a 2litre twincam in a Junior

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Please don't ask why I know this, but are you sure you put the bolts back in that go on the underside of the head at the front? One is just above the distributor and lots of oil will leak out if that bolt is missing.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm. i do have the two bolts that sits in the front of the engine, but I cant actually remember if they are tightened :eek:

*right* above the distributor there is a hole, but thats been there before, and iirc nothing goes in there...

I will check this again though!

Attatched is a picture, Taken a while ago, explaining locations

Attachments

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
the hole marked "hole I am thinking of" is supposed to have a bolt in it, also one on other side of head. comes up from bottom.
cliff

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL! I honestly cannot remember that there ever was a bolt there, but that makes *lots* of sence unfortunately :( I will have to buy a bolt, can you (or anyone?) tell me the diameter, length, and thread type please?

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Dang, I have been looking at an oil leak in the same area but my bolt is in and tight (but haven't checked the torque on it yet) should you put gasket seal on the treads of the bolt before putting in?

I just ran a test on it this afternoon and it leak during warm up and then stop but will start leaking again after driving it. I thought in my case it might be the O ring in the head in that area that might be leaking?

Any ideas for me?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Murray...I think you need to just throw that motor away and get another one. It is being way too much trouble!:D I'll tell you what I'll do for you. Bud and I will come with a trailer and haul that trashy motor out of your nice garage and take it home with us and stick it in our dumpster.

BTW....that bolt is not near an oil gallery. But a little sealant on the threads....if you sourced it from there...won't hurt. the bolt doesn't see oil except splash from the timing chain. Make sure that bolt is tight and that the hole is not stripped.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
And if a leak persists from that area, replace the o-ring around the distributor shaft where it seats into the block!

That's where I traced a pesky oil leak, I thought it was the timing chain cover bolt we're talking about here.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Murray...I think you need to just throw that motor away and get another one. It is being way too much trouble!:D I'll tell you what I'll do for you. Bud and I will come with a trailer and haul that trashy motor out of your nice garage and take it home with us and stick it in our dumpster.
I fixed the leak by tighting the bolt but I'm tired of messing with this engine and decided to give it to the Detroit Club to use at the Chicago National Convention. :D:D:D

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alfa loco - thanks, will check up on that. The spesific leak i mentioned in my first post was fixed, but in the race 2 weeks ago i would get back to the pits after a session, and find oil all over the engine bay. My thoughts are either the oil supply for the waterpump (revcounter gear), or a leaky front crank seal.

I didnt know about the oring in the distributor, so havent checked that yet, but I took off the waterpump, and sure enough it doesn't look like it sealed properly around the area where the oil is fed, and that is right above the crankshaft, wich would spin oil everywhere.

I also seem to have quite a severe oil leak from my gearbox :( dripping gearbox oil out of the bell housing, assuming input shaft seal is gone? My next race is in 3 weeks, so lots of work left to do!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts