Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes i know , not another thread about Sprint but there isnt any about small things we want to do to our cars so i thought i start one.
For example...

I have bought for 20euro the side spoilers from a s1 33 QV and i want to put them to my sprint. Unfortunately , spirnt dousn't have the holes to put the straps to hold the spoilers so i have to find another way to put it on. Making new holes and drilling is an option but it might create more (rust ) problems. So i am thinging to glue them as it is done on rear spoilers/wings . If someone knows better or has done something similar can give me an idea?

Also i have bought the rear wing form a Sprint QV 1.7. I had to remove it from a wreck and i noticed that it was bolt on the rear door with 4 bolts by default from factory. Mine doesnt have and i am thinking to use the same glue .
Rear wing will be painted with the color of the car ( white) while spoilers and bumper will remain black. What kind of paint and procedure to follow so to avoid later the paint from pealing off? And a last qustion , can i use filler to cover scratched on the bumpers an spoilers or it will be no good because it will not hold on plastic?

·
Registered
241 Posts
car

if i was you i would use a good bonding agent to fix the sideskirts on and rear spoiler but for the paint to stick to plastic you need a plastic primer that sticks to the plastic otherwise the paint will just peel off.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Sickaflex is your friend :) once it dries it will take the paint of the metal before it breaks the bond.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Yes i know , not another thread about Sprint but there isnt any about small things we want to do to our cars so i thought i start one.
For example...

I have bought for 20euro the side spoilers from a s1 33 QV and i want to put them to my sprint. Unfortunately , spirnt dousn't have the holes to put the straps to hold the spoilers so i have to find another way to put it on. Making new holes and drilling is an option but it might create more (rust ) problems. So i am thinging to glue them as it is done on rear spoilers/wings . If someone knows better or has done something similar can give me an idea?

Also i have bought the rear wing form a Sprint QV 1.7. I had to remove it from a wreck and i noticed that it was bolt on the rear door with 4 bolts by default from factory. Mine doesnt have and i am thinking to use the same glue .
Rear wing will be painted with the color of the car ( white) while spoilers and bumper will remain black. What kind of paint and procedure to follow so to avoid later the paint from pealing off? And a last qustion , can i use filler to cover scratched on the bumpers an spoilers or it will be no good because it will not hold on plastic?
The best way to attach the side skirts and the spoiler will be how Alfa Romeo did it in the factory. I would not use glue as it will be relying on the bond between paint and body for its strength, and will eventually remove itself. If you do drill holes, just make sure any filings are removed as they rust and can cause more rust and make sure you paint the holes where the bare metal shows, that should be fine - good chance to spray in some cavity wax while the holes are there! Also put a sealant where the spoiler joins the body to stop any water getting under it. (Remember to measure and check several times before drilling and you will get nervous before you do it! :))

Is the rear wing soft like rubber? If it is, it can be painted but a plasticiser additive will need to be added to the paint so the paint remains flexible or else the paint will come off when the spoiler is touched or bumped. You will need to have this done professionally, as the paint takes near a week to cure with the additive, so needs to be kept away from dust.

You can easily fill scratches in the bumpers, make sure you use a 2 part filler (like an Auto body filler) as some single part fillers shrink over time and become noticable when painted over. Just make sure the area is clean from dirt before you start and maybe rough it up some more with some coarse sand paper (60 grit) before you begin filling so the filler really sticks.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a lot for the info. I would have to check all possibilities. For the moment i prefer the solution of gluing them as it is done to the newer models of Alfa. I will have to ask a local dealer what kind of bonding material they are using but i will also ask a friend of mine that has a restoration shop if gluing is strong enough. Rear spoiler is the original one from a 1.7 and it needs a little attention to the color because the color has some cracks .as soon as the weather gets better i will start the project and have some photos during procedure.

What surprised me is that the floor size of the sprint is the same as 4door 33 because the sideskirts are perfect fit. Thats why it has so much room for all passengers an quite big trunk.Cant wait to put them on. Also , i have fabricated a rear panel from MDF wood that covers half the trunk and i have the leather cover on top of it so i can fit rear speakers. It needs couple of thing before i finish it but i will post pictures also. If anyone needs size details i will be happy to provide...

·
Registered
498 Posts
What surprised me is that the floor size of the sprint is the same as 4door 33 because the sideskirts are perfect fit. .
It's also the reason putting the later model engines into the old cars is so easy. The exhausts are all the same, fuel tanks everything.

Underneath, they are all the same car.

lenus.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you glue it will it not break off as the plastic expands and contracts at different rates to metal when the temperature changes from hot to cold?

·
Registered
787 Posts
If you glue it will it not break off as the plastic expands and contracts at different rates to metal when the temperature changes from hot to cold?
thats why you use sicaflex... it is not a 'hard' glue... it dries like a soft rubber - yet it is increadibly strong

·
Registered
498 Posts
+1 Sicaflex.

I use it to seal speaker boxes and other things where having a small leak matters in something that's under constant force.

Sikaflex doesn't crack, it's a bit like silicon with way better adhesive properties.

If you're worried about damaging the paint you could always use those 3m adhesive strips that pull off when you're done.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also side spoiler is not one piece but 2 so there no issue about expansion...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts