Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a question...

I've done some BB searching and found threads about slow wipers, wiper tune up, etc. and with that info have gone as far as getting the motor out and started the clean up. What I haven't found in any of the threads, is how far to go with the cleaning inside the gearbox area of the motor. Is it just whatever grease is immediately visible on the cap or gear? Or is there more disassembly to get to more grease?

Here's hoping for a quick response to get back to reassembly!

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
It looks like you did a nice job of cleaning the contact/gear area. The circular contact 'runners' on the disc tend to become coated with some patina, so if you haven't already, it could be helpful to run some fine steel wool over the copper to clean those up a bit. I'd also suggest removing the motor armature from the motor casing. Its a pretty easy job. I found lots of crud and rust inside the casing when I pulled the armature out of my wiper motor.

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Mike, mine too, I have not gotten this far. I suspect opening up the gear case that changes direction from the motor or the motor bearings. I will be watching.
thanks to all

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,564 Posts
I also highly recommend lubing up the wiper linkage. If you can remove the whole thing and really get some grease into the ball and socket joints that made a huge difference on my Spider.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. That's as far as I went with the motor. Took going to 4 different neighbours to find that 1970's white lithium grease. I got the arms out and they move freely. I'll still give them a shot of lube. Right now the challenge is figuring out how to get the spindles apart (what the arms attach to).

·
Premium Member
13,982 Posts
If you take out the armature then be very careful when you replace it as it easy to break the carbon brushes.

·
Push hard and live
9,591 Posts
I bought a 78 Alfetta GT a few months ago. Typical list of owner-deferred maintenance. Among them was a veeerrrrrry slow wiper. When I accidentally stumbled over a NOS motor, still in the Alfa orange box, I snapped it up.

There were various lamps and turn signal things not working as well, so I replaced the column switch. Dragging all of that heavy current for the headlights straight through the switch contacts is one of Alfa’s most infamous engineering design faux pas.

As I went about testing the new switch, I was shocked to find the wipers working like new.

‘Nuff said?

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow those little snap rings are tough to see. Finally noticed them, got them all apart, cleaned up, and lubed everything I could find a place to get grease into.

Buttoned everything back up, and drum roll please... my wipers are 10x faster than they were! Now getting caught in the rain won't be terrifying.

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don, I was talking to Vintre earlier today about relaying the wipers like we did and many do with headlights.
Lights were a definite because driving at night, is fairly common.
Driving in the rain, very very rare, but why not be prepared just in case.
Hopefully somebody posted a wiper relay DIY!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I believe the wipers are already relayed - at least the intermittent setting runs off a relay mounted behind the glove box in my S3. When working on my wiper motor wiring recently I think I remember the relay clicking when I turned the wipers on the first slow setting....
But its a good question, and I think I'll check the wiring diagram to see if I got that right.

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
I did basically what Mike did, except I went a bit further and took out the motor to clean and regrease the bearing shaft and polish the commutator
I didn't undo the linkage, because with the motor out and the arms off, they moved really easily , so just sprayed the joints with a little white lithium.

my years old dropbox link has some photos...maybe useful for those who have taken apart the wiper motor and forgot what goes where...(it happens;))
wiper motor s4

·
Premium Member
13,982 Posts
There is no relay in the stock S2 wiper wiring but I don't see the benefit of adding one as the power comes direct from fuse #2.

·
Registered
1978 Spider
343 Posts
I believe the old UK spider repair manual, the one that only goes to 78, details disassembly and cleaning of the wiper motor. Probably will work for 79+ spiders too.

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
my years old dropbox link has some photos...maybe useful for those who have taken apart the wiper motor and forgot what goes where...(it happens;))
wiper motor s4
SS4,

Thank you for the link to the pictures and the details added.

Will make a nice addition to the collection of pictures I have. Did not have those ;)

Vin

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did basically what Mike did, except I went a bit further and took out the motor to clean and regrease the bearing shaft and polish the commutator
I didn't undo the linkage, because with the motor out and the arms off, they moved really easily , so just sprayed the joints with a little white lithium.

wiper motor s4

Ah man Dom, where were you last night at 7pm EST?? It would have only been 1am for you in Germany!
Wish I knew I could pop out the gear and clean underneath it too.
Oh well, I sprayed the heck out of the inside with lots of brake cleaner which probably washed the teeth and back side of it pretty good. Either way, I'm pretty happy with the new speed of them.

Great pics. Thanks for posting.

Worst part of the job... getting that darn cowl back into all those clips. Such a pain.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts