Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased an 86 spider that I am trying to get started. To my knowledge the car hasn't been started for 2 years. After draining fuel tank, installing a new fuel filter and refilling the tank I installed a charged battery. The car cranked easily but never started. I then noticed that the fuel pump fuse case near the ecu was open and empty. I installed the proper fuse. I also installed a newly charged battery. When I tried to start it I heard the ecu and I think the fuel pump click, the dask lights came on but the engine would barely crank. I jumped the batter from a running car believing the battery might be drained and still the engine would barely crank and would not start.

Any idea what might be wrong and what I should try next? I am surprised that the engine seemed to turn over easily with the fuel pump fuse was not inserted.

Help!:eek:

·
Administrator
16,629 Posts
My guess (just a guess) is that perhaps the wiring to the fuel pumps (there are two - one in the tank and one under the car) is faulty & somehow causing a big drain -or- one of the pumps (probably the main pump under the car) is siezed. Did the fuse blow? What size fuse did you use? I believe 8 amps is correct.

See the link in my signature block for info about the L-jetronic system used in our Spiders.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My guess (just a guess) is that perhaps the wiring to the fuel pumps (there are two - one in the tank and one under the car) is faulty & somehow causing a big drain -or- one of the pumps (probably the main pump under the car) is siezed. Did the fuse blow? What size fuse did you use? I believe 8 amps is correct.

See the link in my signature block for info about the L-jetronic system used in our Spiders.
The fuse was on the floorboard of the car (interior was stripped by the owners and in boxes when I purchased the car). I noticed the red fuse case next to the fuel ECU was open and I say a copper bullet-like fuse with pointed tips on the ground. The fuse seemed to fit the case perfectly. I tested the case from both sides to make sure current would flow through.

When I replaced the fuel filter I noted that the pump was in the bracket but both were hanging loose under the car. Does the pump ground by being attached to the frame of the car OR is there a ground and power wire on the pump (sorry, I'm not at the car right now to look myself and my shop manual doesn't say)? Perhaps the pump is NOT grounded?

·
Administrator
16,629 Posts
IIRC (it's been a while since I had the pump out), there are two wires connected to the pump. 12V + and - . Typically the grounds are black wires. And, again IIRC, they have slightly different size ring terminals - I guess to make sure it gets hooked up correctly. But who knows what some DPO ([email protected] previous owner) has done to the car.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IIRC (it's been a while since I had the pump out), there are two wires connected to the pump. 12V + and - . Typically the grounds are black wires. And, again IIRC, they have slightly different size ring terminals - I guess to make sure it gets hooked up correctly. But who knows what some DPO ([email protected] previous owner) has done to the car.
Amen to that comment! From other stuff I have found on this car the previous owner didn't know much about cars OR was just careless! I'll check the hookup tomorrow and make sure is isn't backwards! Given that the battery cranked the engine easily without the fuse and with the fuse in it had little power certainly suggest some sort of electrical problem or short (should have thought about that myself, darn it!). Thanks very much for pointing me in a direction. And your troubleshooting manual is excellent...I'm going to troubleshoot the whole system tomorrow too!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts