Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can check the brake light switch off of my to do list. Thanks.
This weeks goal...the power windows. Both driver and passenger driver windows are interminably slow going both up and down. Looking back through the previous owners service records I discovered he had the passenger side motor replaced in September 2011 for about $600. I think he wasted his $600 dollars. Since both windows operate at the same extremely slow speed my guess is that neither one is getting enough juice. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
16,992 Posts
There are a lot of connections in the power window circuits. Either one poor connection or a bunch of slightly bad connections will cause enough electrical resistance to cause slow windows.

Also, the wires pass through an accordian shaped rubber tube at the hinge post. The frequent flexing of the wires as the doors are opened/closed can cause the wire strands to break. Once only a few strands remain intact the windows will be slow. (usually it is the driver's side that fails first as that door is the most used)

It also wouldn't hurt to install new fuses. Old fuses can look OK but somehow fail to allow electrons to flow as they should.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eric,

Thanks for the suggestions. Hopefully, within a week I can report a success.

Wayne

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Spray lube in the window channel can help. We have used a silicone spray but there may be a better type made for this. There is a lot of friction in the sliding channels.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I experienced the slow windows. My problem was the electric window motors. I took the motors apart and greased the bearings. Bearings were all junked up.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Just in the door is a connection point, at least in a S4 there is, anyway, disconnect the wires , here again on a S4 they are yellow, and connect your car battery to the wires on the door side, reversing polarity controls up or down operation of the window, and if they go up or down fast then as previously posed there probably are poor connections in the chain of wires. If the window is still slow then it is in the door related, i.e. motor, tracks or even wiring in the door.

Something to consider.

Bob

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I will give it a try and let you know.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, it appears to be in the tracks or the pulleys. It sure is nice to have the knowledge from you guys to lean on.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Retrofit electric window regulators - the ultimate if very expensive solution to Alfa spider electric window problems.

Mr Fiat in Atlanta, GA at $240.00 each side. Centerline at $257.00 each side

Both of my 88 quad windows have been retrofit with these. I no longer have electric window problems.

Robert

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the reply. I got one siding working quite well (of course, I discovered the door panel is rotten. So that goes on my too do list). The other side seems to be binding a little bit in one of the tracks. I believe my car has been retro fitted sometime in the last 5 years or so. However,, the unit does not look like the one in your picture.

Wayne

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
If you still have the pulleys/wire lifts then you still have the OEM system. Only Alfa uses this tiresome system, to the best of my knowledge. The retrofit systems use a worm drive in a housing system and a single lift rail guide. You mentioned that the previous owner paid $600 for a window motor replacement. He was screwed.

The replacements motors for the OEM system are available for around $60 each. The labor to remove the door panel and remove and replace the motor is high, but not $540. That may be a reason for his decision to get rid of the Afla. But you are now in the right place (this BB) to be an Alfa owner at a realistic price. The members for the most part are great guys and have a wealth of knowledge to offer for free to assist you in owning and maintaining one of these beautiful if worrysome cars.

Welcome, Robert Hill in Memphis, TN

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Robert,

Thanks, I think you are right. The PO did get screwed. I think he overpaid for much of the work done.

I am amazed and grateful how members here are so generous and supportive to other owners.

Thanks, Wayne

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,483 Posts
Wayne, FYI suggest you put your model and year in your sig file. You'll get better responses to your questions if folks know the specifics of your car.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tom, thanks. Will do...when I figure out how.

Wayne

·
Registered
28 Posts
Where are OEM window motors available from

vf31rhill The replacements motors for the OEM system are available for around $60 each. The labor to remove the door panel and remove and replace the motor is high said:
You state the OEM Alfa window motors are available for about $60. Please advise where they can be obtained. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
OEM lift motors and cable winder assemblies are available from Mr. Fiat in Atlanta, IAP in Charlottsville VA, and Centerline, among others. Just do a net search for Mr. Fial, IAP, and Centerline.

Robert

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks ghnl for your suggestion regarding the wiring at the door hinge. My intermittent window operation was due to wire damage at that location. Easy fix with electrical joiners and lots of protective tape. Saved a bunch by not needing my auto electrician.

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
Hey Alan!

Thanks for reporting your happy ending! How about a signature line?

Now, if only we knew what became of OP Wayne's problem.

All the best.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I recently purchased a pair of the window motors from Mr. Fiat. They work great and were relatively easy to install. Thanks for the suggestion...now if I could just get the **** thing out of 3rd gear without pulling the tranny!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Retrofit electric window regulators - the ultimate if very expensive solution to Alfa spider electric window problems.

Mr Fiat in Atlanta, GA at $240.00 each side. Centerline at $257.00 each side

Both of my 88 quad windows have been retrofit with these. I no longer have electric window problems.

Robert
Robert,

I took your advice and bought a pair from Mr. Fiat. They work great! Installation was pretty simple. The hardest part was reinstalling the door panels.

Thanks, Wayne

1 - 20 of 24 Posts