Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here experienced very slow cold cranking of their boxer? Every time I go to start my 33 in the morning the starter seems to really struggle to crank the engine into life, and when hot it simply wont go unless you wait a few minutes (Id hate to stall in traffic) My battery and wiring are fine and all checked with the multimeter and the battery has a higher CCA than recommended, alternator fine too.
Could the fault lie in the starter itself, perhaps worn brushes?
The only other thing I have noticed is that very occasionally when the key is turned to start, nothing happens, and I have heard the barrel switch sometimes give up.
Does the ignition switch the high current for the starter or is it done with a relay? If not it might be worth putting a relay on the circuit.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Check the connections at the starter motor solenoid, these have to be absolutely perfect. Mine looked fine, but I had the same problem as you. I ended up trimming all connecting wires back to clean copper, sanding clean all spade terminals and re-crimping new connectors to all the clean wiring. Lastly, a coat of electrical wiring moisture dispersant from supercheap finished the deal. No more problems after that. Obviously make sure your starter is in good condition and disconnect the battery before starting the repairs! (I forgot last time-ouch)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Does the ignition switch the high current for the starter or is it done with a relay? If not it might be worth putting a relay on the circuit.
HaHa, whats relayed in a sud and a sprint...:rolleyes: :D Actualy the solenid on the starter is a huge relay itself, no high current is flowing through the ignition switch when cranking just the "pulling" signal... ;) if you want to relay something than the ignition "on" position, thats killing these switches, that the whole ignition switched current is flowing through them... ;) :eek:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts