Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9,283 Posts
In this case should be 1967-94. Duetto was presented in New York in May of 1966 as 1967 year model.

Please correct me if I am wrong
Generally speaking, I would say a car model starts to exist from the time it is introduced to the public. Here's what Fusi says about the Spider:
fusi628.jpg

·
Registered
9,283 Posts
BTW, this Wikipedia page has an interesting and what seems to be fairly level-headed description of the 1966-1993/94 model years.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Tubut, wikipedia is not a source at all, very often it is based on the books and articles that have mistakes. For instance by wiki S4 was made in San Giorgio Canavese, but it was made in Grugliasco. Production data is wrong, etc...
Why we should use wiki if nowadays a lot of sources are available. Sorry for the off topic.

So, just for clarification, on what data should be based the forum name?
- Production years? (1966-1993)
- Model Year of the US market? (1966-1994)
- Presence on the US market? (1966-1995)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Not sure why this is so confusing for you. Cars always have been (at least in my lifetime) identified by model year. The model year may be close to when the car was actually manufactured or when it was actually bought but it's not the same thing. But if you're getting a blue book value for a car or buying parts for a car or even working on a car you get value/parts/specifications by looking up the model year.

A couple of examples:

My Alfa was made in August of 1989, but it is designated as M.Y. 1990. Now we can sit here arguing all day about whether that makes it an '89 or a '90 but if I try to order engine parts for a '89 for my car I'll almost certainly get the wrong parts. Likewise, if I look at an '89 service manual to try diagnose issues with my car I'm going to be confused as heck since nothing engine wise matches up.

I once had a M.Y. 2002 Subaru that was produced in April of 2001 and delivered to me in June 2001. Now, you might look at that and say "well, obviously it's a 2001 then" but again, if I tried to order ANY part for a 2001 it almost certainly would NOT work for my car since 2001/2002 was the "generation" break with the 2002 being an entirely new design compared to earlier models. Different engine, different transmission, different suspension, different body, different everything.

This is not something that is new in any way or anything "sneaky" that only Alfa does. The U.S. manufacturers started bringing out the "next" model year in the previous fall as a marketing ploy sometime in the 1950s I believe. That's just how the car biz works. For the 1994 model year across the ENTIRE automobile industry close to half of all 1994 M.Y. cars were made in 1993. So trying to identify a car by it's actual manufacture date rather than it's designated model year just confuses the issue. It's just not how any of this works.

Again - what do you call a, say, 2008 M.Y. car that was manufactured in November 2007 but not actually sold until February 2009?

21 - 24 of 24 Posts