Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone. well my milano has lived its performance years and now its time to give her a rest. by that i mean making it look like a show car now. Being young i am into the "slammed" look, euro VIP, and the hella flush/Canibeat scene. I know it sounds absurd to do that on this kind of car but when i saw a picture of a slammed 159 i knew that was the direction i wanted to go. so now that i have explained myself i would like to ask the milano community how low can i go without scraping too much? and what brand spring will give me that ride height? i live in the southbay area in los angeles and roads are good. also whats a good deep offset on some bbs rs? also what size wheel and tires would look good thanks please no hating.
p.s. im attaching a picture of the 159 to give you an idea of what im going for.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,164 Posts
Somehow I just can't wrap my head around that 159, and I don't think a slammed Milano would look any better. I would reckon it wouldn't be usable on the street. Certainly would not be what we all imagine an Alfa is supposed to be or to be able to drive like one. In that case, why bother.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that picture is a DD. It is on air suspension if you didnt know. yeah its not what you would imagine an alfa supposed to be but its something new and creative.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
that 159 looks awesome! nice find
pm replied too

·
Premium Member
16,164 Posts
Lol, call me old fashioned, but I don't understand the "barrio" look. Is it supposed to be cool or something? Does it bounce up and down like I see in the movies?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol you might need to see an optometrist for your poor vision. that 159 is far from the "barrio" look you speak of its actually called Euro VIP. try getting some glasses and read the article of that 159. your generation of "style" has passed and a new one has emerged. btw i like how purist you are and how much you are criticizing my way of how i want "MY" car (not yours) to look like. while your car is in the garage getting old like you, mine will be living up in magazines/blogs and getting ladies:)

·
Super Moderator
11,142 Posts
Without commenting on whether a 159 or a Milano would look better slammed, I would say that lowering a car to the extent shown in that picture would make it highly impractical for street use.

Andretti's question was: "how low can i go without scraping too much?" From my experience, the answer is "not very low". Whether you live in south LA or north Moscow, there are drains running across roads, there are potholes, there are driveway curbs, ..... When driving a lowered car, you really really need to "read" the road ahead, and anticipate bumps. Prepare to be rear ended a few times by the morons in jacked up 4X4's who have no idea why anyone would slowdown for a dip in the road.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
But to answer andretti's question.
Front: You can go reeeel low just by adjusting the front torsion bars. But I think you will at least run out of camber adjustment. I think the wheel goes (-).
Will other front geometry get messed up beyond existing adjustments?
Rear: For prototype you can just cut the stock rear springs till you get something that looks good. Then have stronger springs made later because the cut OEM springs will be almost useless.
I bet the oil pan would be the biggest problem. Invent a dry sump system??
Exhaust issues could be solved by custom headers and a cat that could be tucked away someplace. Move the muffler to behind the axle.
What size wheels?? 17", 18".
Come on all you 'ol folks use your experience and imagination and answer the quesion.
I think it would be a cool project.

edit: I cannot argue with anything Jay says in his last paragraph, but that doesn't say some of the problems could not be overcome. My Alfetta GT track car was lowered a little with big springs and torsion bars and it was tricky driving anywhere close to speed bumps and dips.

·
Registered
481 Posts
its unlikely you'd get the amount of lowering your after, without the oil pan, downpipes and possibly front frame rails dragging. However as others have said, its easy to adjust on the front torsion bars, and you can cut the lower a-arm mount more to get the camber correct. the rear springs can also simply be cut, but preferably on a set of aftermarket progressive rate springs (or it will bounce a lot)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the support. i also think it would be a cool and creative project for me. My milano has lived up to its performance days and i feel its time to give her a rest and show the beauty of the car instead of pushing it to its limits and then not being able to drive it anymore. its an old car and i do not feel the need to race/track it. im all for cruising around the beach now and taking it to shows:) i am familiar on how to drive through speed bumps,dips, etc because my bmw that got stolen:( had a 3 inch drop on it lol. i found some centerline alfa springs that give a rear 2inch drop but i want to see them on a milano before i purchase them because the ride height might still be too high for me. (any pictures?)also i plan on getting 17inch bbs rs wheels with a nice deep dish on them to give it that old school look

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
i think the biggest problem with a 75 getting the slammed look is the way the body sits on the chasis rails.
most cars i have delt with here in australia [commodores] have sills that sit lower than chasis rails, so everything under the car sits clear of the ground while the sills sit nice and low for a slammed height.
in the 75, the skirts on a verde pretty much finish level with the chasis rails, so getting slammed means slamming the underside of the car.

its always going to be a sacrafice issue.

if the budget allows, look into air bagging. since you dont want to track the car, and its a cruiser, airbags are an option that will get slammed and still let you drive the car through macca's drive throughs.
im my research there are "air cartrige struts", that you could use for the front, they look like coilovers but with out a spring around them. designed to fit real tight locations on show cars for custom installs, so i dont know if they are street driveable. this would mean running without a shock up front or relocating it somehow... maybe they act as shocks too? i dont know.
fitting bags in the rear is easy, real easy. maybe slam the front and bag the rear, then maybe you could still clear some more difficult stuff.

·
Premium Member
16,164 Posts
"mine will be living up in magazines/blogs and getting ladies"

I see, that's what I should be aiming for, eh? How can I comment on that?

My cars, sitting in the garage? As daily drivers, they hit the road every day, driven in the manner for which they were intended, not posing as pimp cars for the ladies, lol. Aging? Just wait, your turn will absolutely come, and sorry, I do have glasses, strong enough to see what I'm looking at.

"European VIP"? So the euros are copying the "barrio" look now? I lived in east LA, and know the look quite well. If it walks, quacks, etc... When I drove a new 2010 159 Sport Wagon (lowered, 19 inch wheels, etc) in Oslo at the local dealer, I remarked to the dealer that it was tastefully done, not lowered too much. He replied that it was not lowered too much, to avoid the LA look. We really had to laugh at that.

Yes, obviously I'm much more of a purist than you, and that's ok. You are correct, that it is your car, and you will do what you want with it. I am free, though, to offer comments as to how it might look, or do you want glowing positive remarks only? Surely you can stand a little humorous tweak, lol. I would guess that most Alfa owners, and manufacturers/owners of other sporting cars, don't buy into your "new style" philosophy, evidenced by the styles of the new models coming out every year.

Have fun.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Build or have built for you new wheel arch flares that actually sit further down than standard. Same said for the side skirts and front and rear bars. Combine that with some lowering, you shouldn't have the chassis/sump/exhaust ground clearance issues, just the front air ****/spoiler clearance fun.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Hella flush looks stupid. I really don't understand the appeal of mangled body panels and chipped paint from the rims and tires hitting the body, and making your car much less useful and pleasant to drive. Yes, I am aware that not thinking that looks good is called "hating" by those who like it, but oh well. I still laugh at them every time I see them.

I don't think that the car in the picture looks that bad, it would look better if it wasn't so low and had wheels that fit better, but it isn't really that bad.

To answer your question seriously though (how much you can lower a milano without scraping) with the stock spring rates you really cant. If you want to go alot stiffer probably an inch in the front and 2 inches in the back is about the most. If you look at the design of the front suspension, airbags really arent an option, but with careful driving and stiff torsion bars an inch would probably be ok.

http://i47.tinypic.com/2m287ko.jpg That picture is about as low as its going to go either way.

I have a completely serious suggestion though, if you like alfa's and you like the style of the car in your first post, sell the milano and buy a 164. They are designed much more like the other kinds of cars people modify the way you want to, and you will be able to get it alot lower and still drive it (carefully).

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
you can go lower than the pic trav shows... i do it everyday with my daily driver.

dont bother agruing with other members. you might not be able to change thier minds but you can change thier willingness to offer help later down the track. they might hate on what you aiming for but they still have info that might help out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Andretti, the bottem line is that is't your car and push the limits if you like! A little Co. back in the day used to push the limits with Alfa design,suspension,horsepower,remember Auto delta? My milano handles great slamed to the ground,don't believe me ? try following one of the group 2 milano around the track! and yes I drive it on the streets in Seattle. Remember Alfa has a long history of rasing eyebrows in design,don't let so called purest deture you. Have fun! thats what there for!

·
Registered
623 Posts
My 2 cents... I agree with Brad. I run with Brad on the track and mine is one of the Group2 Milano's he mentioned. My Milano is also pretty much slammed (about 1.5" clearance at the oil pan). It's fantastic on the track, and a bit of a pain on the street, but as mentioned in several posts here it's just a matter of knowing how to negotiate the ugly surfaces of our city streets and being careful. The worst part are the the down pipes and the muffler as it bends up just before the TA (terrible design in it's stock configuration).

All our G2 cars are just a bit lower than that red 75 Evo in the picture (which is very pretty car), they are set up for track, and are tolerable on the street... although my wife HATES it.

Have fun.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts