Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1986 Alfa Romeo GTV6
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys.
I'm sure some of you used Daniel Stern Lighting upgrades.
I'm about to order a full upgrade set for my GTV6 and he asked me a few questions i thought you guys could enlighten me better.
I'm getting a full set of head lights, 2 inner and the 2 outer, also a complete harness made by him with all the top notch relay needed.
Here's what he asked.
""
If you would like to have a built-up/ready-to-install harness, I'd like to please have some measurements from you so my harness builder can put together a nice, neat harness for you. Pick out a convenient headlamp relay mounting location, usually on the radiator support panel or one or the other inner fender. The relays with their mount bracket/terminal blocks take up a space totaling about 1.25" deep, 2" tall, and 3.5" wide (for all the relays, not for each relay).

Make these measurements not in direct straight lines, but rather along the paths you intend to run the cables:

Relay mounting location to power pickup point (one or the other end of the battery + cable, usually, but could also be alternator B+/BAT output terminal)

Relay mounting location to good ground (usually one or the other end of the battery - cable, or could be alternator bracket or housing, etc—not just nearby sheetmetal)

Relay mounting location to terminals on back of left headlamp(s)

Relay mounting location to terminals on back of right headlamp(s)

Left headlamp terminals to nearest good ground

Right headlamp terminals to nearest good ground ""

Any recommendations?

I am also planning on removing the dashboard to see if i can see where the cold air is coming in from and cover that if possible. Heating is working very good but i have a very cold draft coming in to my feet.
If that helps with the wiring and relay installation, good.

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
Hi there, in post 18 and 21 you can see where I put things for headlight relays etc.

I just used the chassis ground points for the headlight bulb grounds.

·
Premium Member
1986 Alfa Romeo GTV6
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there, in post 18 and 21 you can see where I put things for headlight relays etc.

I just used the chassis ground points for the headlight bulb grounds.
Thank you @vintagemilano. I searched and lost a lot of time but did not see your post. I Missed it somehow.

·
Premium Member
1986 Alfa Romeo GTV6
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm reading all your post now. good info there. detailed. You also replaced the outer rear window seal? they look almost like factory. Where did you get them? Mine fit like a whole finger at the end. That's how much they shrunk.
I can't keep my posts concise to the title. there is so much i don't know and want to do. lol

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,823 Posts
Unfortunately i think you're going to have to take those measurements. Call me captain obvious but just remember you can have a little extra wire to tuck away but not too little. Maybe use a piece of wire or string to take thr measurements.

Please share them with us once you get them. This is on my list after a few safety items.

·
Premium Member
1986 Alfa Romeo GTV6
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unfortunately i think you're going to have to take those measurements. Call me captain obvious but just remember you can have a little extra wire to tuck away but not too little. Maybe use a piece of wire or string to take thr measurements.

Please share them with us once you get them. This is on my list after a few safety items.
I will. I started a YouTube channel and plan to have detailed info and videos of my adventures. Mind you that i'm in no way expert on any things Alfa. All i know is what i read and study with most of you guys.
Have you reached out to Daniel Stern? If you are like me, not savvy with wires (in fact i hate them. dealt with sound systems a big part of my life. you have no idea how many miles of wires and cables a small concert uses), he can have the whole set up done for you. You just have to install and connect.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
I have bought this relay harness for two of my cars, including the GTV6. It is a bit too long, but saves a lot of work:

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
I used to make these myself, and then I had them made.

I bet Stern is using one of the other outfits to make. I suspect I know who based on how he asked the dimension questions...

He trying to sell you the Koito 5 3/4" units too?

Anyway...

You can buy these harnesses custom made from a vendor in the USA already...I gave them all the dimensions as a "gift" once I stopped selling them myself. Send me a PM if you want the info.

Or, you can do as @alfasrule does and install relays near the fuse box and not cut a single wire in the system. I've done this many times, it works perfectly. The original wire is quite good usually the deficiency is the switch configuration. For stock type lamps or even H4/H1 lamps with reaosnable wattage bulbs, it's probably the simplest and best way to do it. Or, buy a generic harness and tuck the extra away as others have said. Or, unwrap the harness and install relays into the original wiring near the junction block under hood (I've also done this, no problem). Or, whatever - many ways to get this done.

Installing the plug and play type harness like the one I used to build leaves excess wiring to deal with and you still need to remove the grille to run the wires left to right.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts