Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got some coolant seepage from my coolant plug between the #3 and #4 spark plugs (with coolant pooling in the spark plug holes). I thought it was maybe seeping out of the cylinder head bolt (since whoever rebuilt the engine put the washer on the wrong side of the engine pulling arch), but it's all to spec now, and the water is certainly weeping out of the coolant plug (which, unfortunately, is the one that's a PITA to get to since it's under that engine-pulling arch).

Anyway, I need a huge allen wrench to adjust / tighten / remove the plug, and can't find the size I need anywhere...

I'm sure dozens of people on this forum have fiddled with these plugs... who can tell me the size of the allen wrench I'd need? My Spider is a 1985 if that matters.... TIA...

·
Premium Member
22,382 Posts
It's 14 or 17, I forget which. Try tightening up, or if that doesn't solve it, a little plumber's putty on the mating surfaces can help. There should be a sealing ring under the plug.
Andrew

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
This is also a known cracking area on the head. Do a search and you should find some info.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
It's 14 mm for my '69, and I'm sure it's the same for an '85.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts