Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
AR Yank Tanks on the Continent?

Apparently, this car spent it's first 10 years in Italy. The hood and right tail light suggest, however, that it started its life as an American model. This suggests that American model 102's were originally sold in Europe next to the continental models. Is there anyone who can confirm or refute that American models were sold in (parts of) Europe?

Gr. Pieter

PS According to the auction description it's not a single owner car.

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
Is there anyone who can confirm or refute that American models were sold in (parts of) Europe?
Only the Centro Documentazione would know that for sure. I think it's very unlikely that US models were sold in Europe (except to US citizens and/or troops who picked up the car in Europe). There is even a notion that cars delivered to European countries may have had small, undocumented variations to comply with local laws (e.g. yellow head light bulbs and different badges in the engine compartment for cars delivered to France).

·
Registered
179 Posts
Tu Vuò Fa' L'Americano...

Instinctively, I agree that it is unlikely that American style 102's were sold in Europe. Guess that means that the history of the car in question may be somewhat different from the version stated by the auction house, as well.

One way or the other, it seems like a nice project, and I would love to have the hardtop that comes with it.

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
Well, the hard top seems to be 106, not 102, and the car seems generally a bit molested (weird rear bumpers and strange panel shape under the rear lights, missing side gills and side trim, etc.).

Lot number 107
Estimate £10,000 - £12,000
Description Alfa Romeo 2000 Spider (Series 102)
Registration BLP 98H
Year 1960
Colour White
Engine size 1,975 cc
Chassis No. AR1026401532
Engine No. ARD020401548

[snip]

This c.1960 Alfa 2000 Spider spent its first 10 years in Italy, being first registered in the UK in 1970 to a London gentleman who was to keep it until 1988 when it was acquired by the current owner. He has never driven the car and it has remained in dry storage for the last 26 years.

About six years ago some attempt was made to get the car in more useable condition and we are informed that the engine was got running for a brief time before the car went back into storage. It comes with an owners handbook, an old style V5 and a factory hardtop.

Now in need of restoration, it should amply reward the work required to return it to the road and will make a great winter project.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
BTW, what the heck is "an old style V5" mentioned in the description?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
V5

Old style v5, was the style of log book ( ownership) document used in the UK in the 60's . It was a folded grey paper document ( I have a few) where each change of owner or registration number was entered by hand and then stamped by the vehicle licensing authority. The original V5 would certainly tell you if it was a one owner car or not ( in the 60's) as it would list all owners. NB I got one owner from the dealer the car eas originally with , on checking the owners register it was in London in the mid 1980's.

I believe you are right this is a 2600 hardtop , strange they have managed to fit it on a 2000. I did try and buy it seperatley but no go.

As to fittings , I think Touring fitted whatever they had at the time and ignored local regulations, my UK RHD 2600 spider has clear indicators ( illegal in the Uk) and bumper over-riders

Also this car has twin dellortos never originally fitted to an iron block 2000 , so there may be a de-siamised manifold

When I looked under this car ( as photo on first post) it is in very poor condition , the outer sills /rockers seem to be single skin dressings put over the rusty panels underneath and then just bent around them. Definatley a full restoration this one but worth doing with the value of 2,000s now

Plus the hardtop will sell for £1,0000

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
V5 reg docs

Maybe I am wrong ( as this is my post I'll hyjack it)

I'm describing a VE60 as photo 1 .

The V5 is a later document ( still in use) as photo 2 , the point of saying has old V5 means it should be easier to retain the original car registration number - these stay with the car in the UK

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts
@Reudi et al: I can't speak for all the variations, but I have a very original 1960 French import 2000 Spider. It has the standard data plates + one mounted by Renault that has the chassis and engine number stamped on it. Easy to tell that mine is matching numbers, which is pretty neat I think. Two other variation from standard are the addition of a glass bottle that is used as a second brake fluid storage unit linked to the master cylinder (pretty well known) and the front bumper overiders are much different then elsewhere-they extend only from the bumper up (not below the bumper line) and are much more in shape/appearance like a Giulia/Giulietta spider.

As to the data plate: Renault, based on info provided by this forum, was the importer for Alfa back then. Not sure if they shipped them CKD (completely knocked down) for final assembly in France, a common scheme used by Triumph and others to avoid heavy import duties on finished goods.

Quick question - anyone have a guess as to the ratio of North American versions (narrow hood scoop spacing w/chrome strip in the middle) vs Euro version that were made? Seems like most of the cars for sale are the NA version, so I was curious.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sold

Car sold for £13,200 not bad . If the purchser reads this please pm ne if you want to sell the hardtop

For £3,000 more ( Yes I know there not Alfas) you could have had tone of these

Rolls-Royce Mulliner Park Ward Drop Head Coupe

http://classiccars.brightwells.com/viewdetails.php?id=5003

Jaguar XJ13 Replica by Proteus

http://classiccars.brightwells.com/viewdetails.php?id=4871

Its a funny world. Neither would take more than £5,000 to have a great car, when the 2000 spider is atleast £25,000 away

But then they are not Alfas

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts