Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing the dash in my 85 graduate and while trying to disconnect the speedometer, there is this thin wire that I had to destroy in order to disconnect it. It was weaved in the speedometer cable and these bolts that are connected to the back of the speedometer. I am hoping it was a security feature to prevent people from replacing speedometers... am I correct?

·
Registered
what part?
10,125 Posts
if it is like my 84 spider, no.. the are just a few wires in back of the speed, 3-4 of them are cooluor coded, those are for lights.. the big cable is the speedo. and a shorter cable it a trip re-set... and let be the first to say this... we needs photos.. we likes photos...

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
I am replacing the dash in my 85 graduate and while trying to disconnect the speedometer, there is this thin wire that I had to destroy in order to disconnect it. It was weaved in the speedometer cable and these bolts that are connected to the back of the speedometer. I am hoping it was a security feature to prevent people from replacing speedometers... am I correct?
Yes, you are correct.
No need to replace it if you don't desire to, though if there's one there, it can help prevent the thumbnut on the cable from coming loose if you don't have it wound on there very tight.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! I just wanted to ensure that I was ok in destroying it. I hope to get some pictures up.

With the weather in Colorado making it impossible to enjoy a convertible I am doing all of the "I would like a new..." projects. Last weekend was the seats and this weekend is replacing the dash and the infamous "whileiamatit" projects of replacing the hoses for the drains on the cowl and also putting in an original stereo and fixing the wiring from the infamous "DPO" who for some reason rewired the speakers.

Bianchi, in another post you mentioned using hose from the hardware store instead of IAP or centerline. I bought one from centerline as I knew one needed to be replaced, but the "whileiamatit" disease hit me so I did the other one with 1 inch flexible PVC. I had to bore it out a little with a drill to make it fit, but it does work. I must say it was harder than the part from Centerline. To be determined on how long it lasts.

What is the over/under on bianchi making a comment about the weather? :D

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The interior is almost done!

I promised pictures, so here you go!

I did all of the "whileimatit" projects for the interior that I can think of when we were getting plenty of snow and couldn't drive my 85 Graduate. Figure I would share the 'before' and 'after' pictures and also a little knowledge I learned either the hard way or from tips on this bulletin board. So far, I replaced:
- The seat vinyl (They were trashed!);
- The seat cushions (lessons learned... sit on them for a while to crush them a little prior to installation);
- The dash (a good hint... when taking out the wing nuts, if they are on there really tight and you can't get it off, just use a 24mm socket, works like a charm! Also helps in tightening them);
- The stereo (I wanted a period correct one and was able to find a new shaft style radio for $40 on ebay);
- The metal plate behind the gauges and radio (I painted it with high gloss black, the jury is still out if I like it glossy or if I should have just gone flat black);
- Drain cowl hoses (I bought an almost $30 hose from Centerline which fit like a glove and was perfect, but ended up needing 2. For the other one, I didn't want to drive there again, so I followed Bianchi1's advice and bought a $2 PVC flexible hose at Lowe's. I had to use a 1-inch drill bit to bore it out a little to fit, but it works);
- New idiot lights bracket, as the old one was broke and wouldn't stay mounted in.
- New shift boot (the old leather one was so old and stiff, the car shifts so much better and I don't need a new transmission like I was thinking I might).
I also:
- Removed all of the old wiring the DPO put in for an aftermarket stereo (there were several wires that weren't used and went to nowhere. Thanks papajam for the wiring diagram so I knew what to yank and what not to) and
- Tightened up the passenger handle as a nut in the door fell off and the other one was lose, so it barely hit the plate that opens the door from the outside and made it tough to open the door.

The interior looks SO much better. It is nowhere near concourse level, as I am not a pro with refinishing seats, etc., but I am no longer embarrassed to have people in my car. I still have to figure out what to put in the hole for the electronic mirror control. My car doesn't have electronic mirrors, so I don't know what was originally in there. I might just get a piece of plastic that looks good and like it belongs there.

Now I just need to vacuum it and clean the car.

Marc
[email protected]

Attachments

·
Registered
759 Posts
Fantastic job it looks great! Where did you source the dash from it looks in good shape.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Looks good :thumbsup:

Two items:

1) The hole for the power mirror switch was plugged with a push in plug. Black, flat faced.
(simular in installed appearance to the buttons that hold down the trunk carpet along the back edge, but different retention type)

2) Matte or satin black (depending on who's can you're spraying it out of) would be the color of choice on the panel behind the gauges/radio and down on the lower console behind the ashtray/lower switches along with the ashtray lid proper.

Gloss or semi~gloss looks indoors OK, but out in the sun I think you'll find it appears a bit cheesy depending on how the light hits it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys! I got the dash via my friend and bb member "Dickson". It took me a year to find one that I would put in my car so I am happy it looks good.

Darren- I agree, the gloss black may not have been the best idea but I am not wanting to take it out to paint it flat black. I just hope it grows on me. Do you know where I can source one of those plugs?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts