Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm close to permanently welding a replacement driver side inner sill from Classic Alfa on my 66 Sprint GT Veloce. I understand accuracy is paramount for this repair and I want to make sure to get it right.

Does anyone have measurements of their door gaps? What (if any) variance is acceptable between gaps at the top of the door near the window brightwork and the bottom? I'm currently within 2mm top to bottom, but I'd like it to be better. The car was stripped to bare metal so there isn't any filler obscuring my measurements.

The door hinges are flat and have brass bushes fitted. No washers or spacers are behind the hinges.

A quick mock up of the outer sill appears to be in the ballpark, but please advise if I should be striving for better measurements. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Disregard leading edge

Please disregard the leading edge door gap between the front fender and door. That is not set at the moment. Thanks!

·
Administrator
12,126 Posts
With my car I am aiming for 5mm's all around the door. This will close up when she is painted to close to 4mm's (??). I am adding or removing metal as required to get perfect gaps all the way around the door ... basically fitting the door or hole to the door.

But before you do any welding, please ensure you install the door seals and make sure you are happy with how the door closes and seals. You might need to make adjustments to achieve door versus seal happiness and THEN you set the gaps.
Pete

1 - 3 of 3 Posts