Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing all the sills (both LH and RH sides) I'm looking for some advice regarding the welding of the middle sill to the inner sill. Does anyone have an idea as to the recommended spacing of plug welds along the top seam (middle to inner) as well as the recommended technique (seam/plug?) of welding the lower join of middle to inner sill
Hopefully, someone with more experience than myself can shed some light on this subject
Many thanks

·
Administrator
14,455 Posts
Ultimately you would spot weld the seam.

Second, plug weld at same spacing as spot welds.

Third, seam weld inch on inch off.

Whatever you do, do not fully weld the seam unless you want to bend the car.

Less weld is better than more weld
Pete

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PSK thanks for your reply, so spacing for top seam plug welds (as I don't have access to a spot welder) should be??

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
At least here in the states you can have a good-enough spot welder for ~$150. I bought one to avoid out of position welds on my next metalwork project but have yet to use it. Something to consider...

·
Administrator
14,455 Posts
PSK thanks for your reply, so spacing for top seam plug welds (as I don't have access to a spot welder) should be??
Are you able to measure the original spot weld spacing?

Sorry, my car has long since lost it's original chassis rails so my measurements would be potentially inaccurate
Pete

·
Registered
146 Posts
I did 20mm spacing between plug welds between the inner and middle sill when I repaired my sills, drilling 7mm holes for the plug welds. The tops were still fine, so left those in and repaired the bottom parts. Much easier to keep everything aligned that way in my opinion.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I did 20mm spacing between plug welds between the inner and middle sill when I repaired my sills, drilling 7mm holes for the plug welds. In my case that was close to the original spacing, but I guess that varies from car to car depending on Mario&Luigi's mood during the day....

The tops were still fine, so left those in and repaired the bottom parts. Much easier to keep everything aligned that way in my opinion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts