Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Does anyone know where i can get silicon radiator hoses for a 96 164 QV? I see Samco sell them but their site doesn't say if they're for 12 or 24 valve models. I'll phone them Monday, but just wanted to know if anyone here knew?

Thanks

Pile

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well i spoke to Samco this morning and they dont know if they're for a 12 or 24 valve! Anybody bought them and know?

Cheers

Pile

·
Premium Member
26,815 Posts
Well i spoke to Samco this morning and they dont know if they're for a 12 or 24 valve! Anybody bought them and know?

Cheers

Pile
Top hose same for both 12/24v models but bottom hose actually 2 hoses on 24v and 3 hoses on 12v.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,745 Posts
Top hose same for both 12/24v models but bottom hose actually 2 hoses on 24v and 3 hoses on 12v.
Just a note, tops hoses are not the same. Has a few different bends in between them. Unless I misunderstood something?:)

Sorry for bad pictures but all I had at the moment:
24V

12V

Ciao!
Jason

·
Premium Member
26,815 Posts
Jason I stand corrected, thanks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have Samco hoses on my 91 164L. I bought them from Brad Anesi in NJ years ago, and I seem to recall him being responsible for getting Samco to manufacture these in the first place. I think the set of everything you needed was about $250. This included intake runner hoses (you needed to cut the 6 lengths yourself), upper and lower radiator hoses, water pump to both cylinder heads (these are really great to have) and a few other cooling systemhoses that run to and from the overflow bottle.
I do not believe these were ever made for the 24V engine. I think the intake runner diameters are different enough, as well as the upper radiator hose and rear hose (the one that comes out from between the cylinder heads on the 24V) being completely different, there's little point in trying to adapt a 12V set to the 24V. It would be nice if someone could convince Samco to make a set for the 24V. I have somewhat of an objection to the red and blue, and would prefer just a regular old black if it were an option. I may be all wrong about the non-availability of the 24V sets, just thought I'd offer what I know.

Cheers,

Karl

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
karl welcome back!

please stick around and advise us as you can. your experience and expertise is truly valued!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Bob, I recognize you by the car collection! Thanks. Looking forward to catching up what I've missed for the past few years.

ciao,

Karl

·
Premium Member
9,745 Posts
Karl, glad to see you on here again as well!
Sure has been a long time for sure.

Samco still makes these kits without the runner hoses. They only have the 3 hoses for the 12V kit around $160 for the set.
2 bottom hoses and middle hose to thermostat union.

That is all they offer. I use to offer them but not a single purchase so I dropped them. I am sure at this point they may not even have them anymore. The samco dealer I dealt with as well dropped them.

Honestly the stock hoses are really good or at least gates hoses. I have never seen an issue with the hoses.

Anyways. I may be able to source them but will be special order if interested only come in blue!?!
J

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have Samco hoses on my 91 164L. I bought them from Brad Anesi in NJ years ago, and I seem to recall him being responsible for getting Samco to manufacture these in the first place. I think the set of everything you needed was about $250. This included intake runner hoses (you needed to cut the 6 lengths yourself), upper and lower radiator hoses, water pump to both cylinder heads (these are really great to have) and a few other cooling systemhoses that run to and from the overflow bottle.
You are correct Karl. I had to pay for the tooling for the three custom hoses, but Samco retained them, which is why they've been able to continue to make the hoses on an "as needed" basis. Kinda bugged me that it worked out that way, but I knew the terms going in, so I really can't complain. I assume they still have the tooling, but don't know for sure.

As you allude to, all the other hoses were "made" from lengths of straight hose that I cut to length, so no custom tooling was needed for these.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts