Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I am in need of 2 screws that contain the lens in the housing for the front signal lights on a duetto. I also need 2 rear taillamp lens screws. If you've got or know where to source pls let me know.

Ciao al!

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
Go to the hardware store and buy SS 5 x 0.8 proper length screws, Phillips head. Then you grind off the threads to make a bare shank toward the head as the original. This allows you to screw the screw into the lens and once into the bare part the bolt floats with expansion and contraction. In essence the screw is captured in the lens after you thread it to the shank. The a full threaded bolt will not allow that in the lens and the lens cracks... Then mount the bolt (screw )in a drill motor and turn it down on a bench grinder to a cheese head that will fit inside the lens recess where it fits..Polish the grind marks. No more rusty bolts and works as for original but better.
001.JPG

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
12,182 Posts
I did just that for my car. You don't need a lathe, just a drill. If you have a dremel, all the more better. Make sure the dremel is rotating in the opposite direction of the drill. If you don't have a dremel, then a good metal file will work.

Start by double nutting the screw and inserting into the drill. A vise can be used to hold the drill. If you don't have a vise, have a friend hold it.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great idea! I did it and the look/work great Thank you!

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
That's good.. Did you put the tiny nylon washers on? They also act as a cushion for expansion and contraction and seal.. not too tight or it will crack just snug enough to compress the lens gasket... also anti-seize on the threads . SS and the socket will gall in your lifetime because SS will react with other alloys. so a little dab will do ya.. The washers? / made from a milk carton if they are missing

1 - 5 of 5 Posts