Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First of all, thanks for reading this...as I am looking for advise.

Recently, I side swiped the righ passenger door with stop sign post and flattened the upper edge of the door - concave to convex transition point which travels down the side of the car body.

Insurance company and body repair place, they claim they can straighten out that upper edge thru body work in shop.

Any opinions on whether this can be done in a straight forward manner by a good body shop,,,or, is it very very difficult and therefore........ or is it not possible to "get it right" and as such, i need to find a door panel as a replacement?

I would look forward and appreciate any informed advise.

Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Without seeing the damage you speak of it's a tough call.
I'm sure the door can be repaired, but if they weld and refinish with filler. It would be tough to get at the back side (inner) of the damage, so could be a place for rust.
I believe doors are plentiful and not too expensive.
If it were my car (again without seeing your damage), I would opt for a rust free door in the original color if possible. If not get it refinished.
In the end no matter what you do you risk having a car with a refinished door that sticks out like a sore thumb.
Don't know if that helps.

Elio

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I just bought a passengers door complete with hinge, but no glass, panel, or door handles. Cost was $30.00 plus $31.82 shipping for a total of $61.82. I would not even consider repairing an old door if you can get good, rust free examples for this kind of money. All you have to do is look on ebay and be a little patient.
Robert

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
i agree with all! Doors are cheap, and usually in rust free condition. If you can track one down locally, and not pay a fortune in freight, grab it! Blending the paint is another issue....

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I agree with all of the posts above. That sharp horizontal body line is no walk in the park to get right. I don't think future rust would be an issue, as the inner panel would definitely have to come off to do the job properly, so rust prevenion treatment would be easily done. If you choose the repair option, make sure that the inner repair surface gets some love.

But I agree that you should repace the door. If it was anything but an Alfa, the shop would slam a new door skin on it and blend the paint, as it the fastest and cheapest way for everyone with insurance. I think this is an expensive way to go. It's also way too efficient for an Alfa Romeo owner.

Try to find the most complete door for your car. Everything on the passenger side of any car is at least 30-60% newer than the driver side. Everything you get is a bonus when you negotiate for parts. If you have no luck locally or get impatient, try APE.

Last thing is the paint. Unless your paint is pretty darn good, it's going to take a skilled painter to blend the new door to the rest of the car. Note that this would still have to be done with the repair option. I guarantee that you will be able to see which side of the car is repaired, by the paint, even if you get a door with the same paint code. Whatever you do, don't do anything halfway, it doesn't have to be expensive. If you do your own work and/or have any insurance issues the replacement option is best.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts