Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I remove the side bump strip from my 1980 Spider? It needs to come off for some minor panel work. Can I remove the rubber strip from within the metal support which may reveal screws or rivets or is the entire thing glued? If my description is not clear , then I can supply a photo.

·
Administrator
17,066 Posts
Usually those strips are either glued on (with very strong adhesive) or there are rivets or screws under the rubber strip. Either way it is likely the strip will be damaged if you try to remove it. FWIW, these strips were quite likely a dealer applied item. Thus it is unlikely you'll find an exact match as they'd have been something sourced locally.

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
The rubber pulls out and then you have to drill out the pop rivets that hold the channel to the body. The glued on ones normally do not have a metal channel.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Photos of my bump strip install

Hi Allen...I'm in Phoenix AZ, the land of no rust but of sun eaten plastics and fabrics!! The sun has eaten the center strips of my bump guards out but this makes it easy to photograph. My channels are plastic and are also failing, maybe the best solution is to find a current manufacturer To replace mine I was thinking of walking the Pick n' pull yards looking for like strips. Let me know if you find a replacement
Paul
89 Alfa

Attachments

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hi Rich,
yours aren't an exact match for mine, but it looks like there's enough for one side of the spider. If yours aren't an exact match for Allen's, I'd like'em as it will give me another system to try and match, thanks in advance...PM follows...Happy holidays
Paul
89 Spider

·
Registered
364 Posts
Back again...Lost my gopy of my PM to Rich, but should get it back when he replies...will add it when I get it.
I also posted on this subject, in my early BB days....before I realized there was such a thing as Clutch Pivot Arms and a clutch slave cylinder...oh what a rookie I was...
Here's the thread title"" Need rubber inserts for body side molding, 89 Spider "", all reply's were good info, but last responder gave a SO CAL source for "era molding" just FYI
Paul 89 Graduate

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
G'day - a good Oz greeting you all may be familiar with. Go for them "az". Mine are still in good shape provided I can safely remove the rubber from its location in the metal strip. And thanks for the photos which effectively show the riveting system of the metal strip. I now know what to expect.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Yo Mate, Didn't look where you were from...I'm in town of 4 million and I cant find resources...bet your having a hell of a "Go", down under!!!
If us yanks were right hand drive I'd be driving a Nissan Skyline or a "Fair Lady" (for us yanks, a "Z" car), from japan, vs my little Alfa. But isnt that what love is all about!! But since I live in a retirement community a golf cart like Alfa is better than a fire breathing-turbo popping Nissan Hot rod!! I rant with jealousy on you right hand drivers!!!
It's obvious (after the Arizona sun burns out the center rubber strips) how the center rivets come out but dont know who they ends come off....will research and advise
G'day Mate
Paul
89 Graduate

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Paul,
Re. right hand drive, there is a lot of European exotica that isn't available here as it is only produced in lhd, so don't be too concerned. And yes, accessing some parts can be a problem ESP when I live in a small rural town of about of 7000. And also, our sign off is usually "See Ya" meaning see you later. Ho hum - you yanks! You need educating in Oz "cultcha" (said in the friendliest of tones)
See ya.
Alan.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm ready

I'm ready to be schooled in Oz "cultcha"

Now to save for air fair!!!!

If I hadn't bought my last Spider I could be there yesterday!!

If I can help, with parts; let me know

I'm watching Craigs List in cities who represent a population of 25 million

we should be able to find something

Send me your want list and price range and I'll look for you too

See Ya
Paul
85 & 89 Spiders

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi az....'
I may need to call on you to search for a part I cannot access here in Oz. Recently I got several small rubber trim pieces and badging from Classic Alfa in Pommyland. However they could not supply me with an upper door rain seal for the right side. As my Alfa is an ex-seppo job, you may be able to find one in the US of A. I attach a couple of photos by way of explanation.
Cheers
Alan.

Attachments

·
Registered
364 Posts
Yo OZ,
Got your part "on order" with my junk-yard-pickers, will see if they come through,,,will advise.
Happy Holidays Paul

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Az,

How did you go with the door rain seal I requested? Not a lot of rain here in summer but leaks happen when I wash Alfie.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts