Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Part 1. Refer to picture below, new in bag upper adjustable control arms bought from US vendor in 11/09. Now need to install them on a Giulia. Note the label - FRAP. I recall some posts here that cited very premature failure of the bulkhead attachment bushing. Should I install these as-is or request new bushings (Linkroder? sp??) from the vendor?

Part 2. I guess there is little debate on replacing the caster bushing with poly, but what about the bulkhead bushing, poly or rubber?? I am looking for a comfortable cruiser, all rubber bushings elsewhere so far, and Koni reds set to mid-range in front.

Thanks for your advice. B

Attachments

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,119 Posts
Check the inside bushing. If the rubber is bonded to the metal it's okay, if it's not bonded you should replace the bushing. They switched back to bonded at some point: if you search around the site you might be able to come up with a date.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, sO the problem was NOT the inner shaft pulling away from the rubber but never having been bonded in the first place? Perhaps I will call the vendor Monday. Any thoughts on bushing material for this arm? It's a leisurely driver. I'd assume new rubber would be fine. but the caster bushing could be poly.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
i'd say rubber all around. I'm looking for a refreshed leisure driver as well. are you using stock springs?
i think the consensus was if it was clearly stamped "FRAP" on the bonded layer, you're okay.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The rubber between the two shafts, if that is the bonded layer, says FRAP. And the inner shaft appears to be attached.

The 65 has stock springs. My 72 has some lower and stiffer springs (unknown type, by PO). I've gone with Koni Classics on the 65, medium (1 turn of 2 1/4) in front and full soft in back. On the 72, it tended to bottom out on compression bumps so I went with Bilstein B6 sports in front and Koni reds on soft in back. The 72 (2L, 4.30) is a bit sportier but not trackday. The 65 is pure stock and comfortable cruising.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Just put a lower A-arm bushing in and be done with it. The early cars were all fitted like that anyway. There isn't really much increased NVH associated with it and it will maintain geometry much better than the rubber bushing.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Just put a lower A-arm bushing in and be done with it. The early cars were all fitted like that anyway. There isn't really much increased NVH associated with it and it will maintain geometry much better than the rubber bushing.
Thats what i did. It's a much better bushing

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
After I had a problem with that rubber bushing migrating out on a new set of arms I went to the lower control arm bushing too

1 - 8 of 8 Posts