Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I adjusted the alternator belt per the shop manual and found that the bottom bolt wouldn't torque down at the end of the process. I'm old :D and I don't think strong enough to but maybe...snapped that bad boy or is there a backing nut that I can't see or probably ever access? Looked to me that the bolt just goes into the block / casting. Still seemed to be threaded just not tight; top bracket nuts are fine. Risks???

Just checked...had no effect on my horrible start-up squeal:( but volts seem slightly over 12 now...and the driver's door adjustment I was so proud of failed overnight too:eek:

But those old Saab steel wheels I bought off of CL actually do fit (thanks to Rim Crossover at Wille R. Duetto) so I'm batting .333.;)

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,285 Posts
This was on a '91, but one of the bolts for the alternator definitely had a backing nut. I think it was the bottom one. You should be able to get to it if you pull the airbox.

·
Administrator
17,627 Posts
Yes, there is a nut at the other end of the bottom 'pivot' bolt. An extension with a 15mm or 17mm (I think) socket will reach it. Be careful not to touch any of your tools to the alternator post with the red wire - it is 'live'. A prudent mechanic would disconnect the battery (or the red wire at the junction box on the left inner fender to remove power from the red wire at the alternator).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to all

Grateful for the help...I only removed the top of the airbox and solved the access to the bottom bolt by getting up on my plastic ramps...found no way to see or wrench a nut if it existed.

And apparently I'm far too ignorant to be prudent...disconnected indeed.:eek:

·
Administrator
17,627 Posts
As I think about it, that bottom bolt (#3) doesn't need to be super tight. Not loose, almost tight is adequate. The alternator pivots on that bolt. The bolt in the slotted bracket (#2) is what maintains tension on the belt.

If you have a squeal despite properly tensioning the belt (~ 1/2 deflection with one finger pressure is about right) then you need a new belt. They get glazed when they slip. Also clean the pulleys (small wire brush works well) to remove any glazing deposited there.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts