Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7,850 Posts
Trojans don't have a shelf life but I'm past those..I think we have lost all confidence in physics.. It's our mentality.. The next thing you know is they will be scrapping the Golden Gate and Hoover Dam because they are worn out.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I don't get it...is every car with older hoses suddenly going to bust into flames?
They won't, but no car should be rolling around with 50 year old brake hoses. Unless it's Gramma's straight 8 Buick and you just pumped up the dry cracked tires and drove it down to the filling station for some fresh gas to see what you have. Hemmings Barn Find style.

But not on the road. Not in my neighborhood with kids and dogs crossing the street.

The old NIP/NOS hoses may be fine,I don't know.But what I do know and you might want to consider are the new lines sold by Alfastop.Braided stainless steel lines covered in black with both ends and fittings being made of stainless
These sound really good - I'll look, thanks.

I also have some new old stock suspension bushings I'm looking sideways at. They seem fresh and soft though. I'm rebuilding the front now. I'm following Vintre's great thread on front suspension 105.

·
Registered
7,850 Posts
yikes .. it's ok .. i just said i would install them if the guy pitching them is okay with that. I know they pass my sniff and DOT test. Wadding up into a fetal position is not good over it is not the intention.. Don't we have more serious issues to deal with like hand washing my bottle of rum I just bought in 77F soap and water for two minutes? I thought my comment on the bridge was just for entertainment. .. and since they are yours I guess they are yours... .

·
Registered
7,315 Posts
They are cheap enough to just purchase brand new ones.

Let us knkw what you decide to do.

·
Registered
7,850 Posts
Screw it let the asteroids figure out what to do .I didn't know I was walking into a frigging tornado., I didn't expect to have to sign a frigging "Hold Harmless " agreement.. Stick em'

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,493 Posts
I'd get stainless lines if you're replacing them. I didn't think I'd be able to feel the extra stiffness but to my surprise I could. Not that much more and worth it IMHO.

Reactions: radamm

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
You guys are (as usual) so silly !!
Stainless lines are only stainless on the outside to protect wear from adjacent parts. The part on the inside is what is important! Is it rubber, plastic, nylon? Just like a woman, it's what is inside that counts :p
But as I always say....It's only the brakes. Run anything if stopping is not important.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
These, as suggested by aphil? My experience is the braiding helps contain any swelling of the actual inner hose.

"...stainless steel/PTFE type - TUV approved"
"Stainless steel (inox) end fittings & nuts.
Black outer covering of the braided out sheaf, less "in your face" than the traditional exposed braided hoses.
This hose type has been fully tested & meets the test criteria for FMVSS-106 (full test), TUV, KBA & ABE."

21 - 32 of 32 Posts