Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These have been stored in the packages and in the dark for many years, 15 or 20 years. Intended to go on my single-circuit brake 1600 Spider along with rebuilt Ate calipers. I'm fairly sure they came from Centerline a long time ago.

Bad idea?

Thanks -

IMG_5512 copy.JPG
IMG_5513 copy.JPG
IMG_5514 copy.JPG

·
Registered
8,085 Posts
I'd use it it has been stored properly as you say.

I have no reason to believe the flex pipes on my spider have been changed for the last 15 or so years....I have had the car 12 years and I have not changed them...no reason yet.

·
Administrator
3,810 Posts
Everything ages, NOS brake pipes included, it's your car & they are single circuit brakes

Think of it this way, having your local brake shop make up new ones which will take 15 to 20 years to get to the age-related point these ones are at now...

I always replace mine when I rebuild brakes

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
8,085 Posts
up to you of course:)
you can get a set of 3 newly manufactured for your car for 45 bucks on ebay

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They don't seem like those most expensive piece of this project, to just buy new ones.
Any brand or supplier people recommend these days? Not sure my town's large enough to have custom made hoses available.

·
Administrator
3,810 Posts
Classic Alfa will ship to your door before most brake vendors open in the morning

Rather don't stint on brakes & suspension, the shiny bits are too expensive if it goes wrong

Aye
Greig

·
Administrator
12,564 Posts
Could you make a template of the markings on the original hose and then use that to paint the newly made hoses with the same markings? Then even concours judges would be happy then ... although anybody that takes marks off because a thing like a brake hose does not have the original markings should be beaten with a big and heavy stick IMO

Pete

·
Registered
1978 Spider
349 Posts
they look to be in good shape. stored away in temperate darkness is much different than 15-20 years subjected to continuous cycles of pressure, heat, flexing, moving, etc. Probably the biggest issue that causes these to break down and leak after years of abuse is the constant application of hydraulic pressure trying to burst the line and the casing trying to resist that bursting pressure...over and over and over and...

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And, I think, vibration and constant flexing on the hub, plus UV and oils.

This will be a driven car, not something to show. With single circuit, I'm conscious of any point of failure.

·
Administrator
12,564 Posts
Can you convert it to dual circuit without being upset?

Pete

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I talked with Papajam about that years ago. Do-able, with a lot of plumbing and the right master. My concern would be any non-reversible changes or welded pieces on the chassis or firewall.

·
Administrator
12,564 Posts
Fair enough. On a well maintained classic car like this, probably not a safety issue

Pete

·
Registered
57 Posts
It should probably be ok, but then again, new ones are fairly cheap, why risk it? If you end up having problems and having to replace and replenish the brake fluid again, most of any savings will be gone. On all of my cars, whenever I replace/overhaul the callipers I would also replace the brake hoses. Twice I have had brake issues, due to internal wear of these. Sometimes internal bits start to come off leading to (partial) blockage. Or it starts slowly splitting internally, in which case the hose starts acting as a little bellow. In both cases it will affect the braking, but it can be really difficult to diagnose. Your typical brake test, might not show any problems.

I would like to think that these problems are primarily due to prolonged use and contact with brake fluid and brake pressure. But as I said earlier, these are cheap parts. I like fiddling with my Spider but I do not like having to redo work, because I used inferior parts to start with.

Jeroen

·
Registered
1978 Spider
349 Posts
I don't get it...is every car with older hoses suddenly going to bust into flames?
You will start to see swelling and cracking of the outer casing long before they suddenly burst if you are periodically inspecting underneath and such...

Those hoses are perfectly fine IMO. Any "new hoses" you buy may well have been manufactured several years ago and been in a warehouse. Or just made last month? Unlike tires, there is no date stamp on the product itself. The packaging? Maybe.

Nothing wrong with new parts...but old does not necessarily mean bad or worn out...

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
The old NIP/NOS hoses may be fine,I don't know.But what I do know and you might want to consider are the new lines sold by Alfastop.Braided stainless steel lines covered in black with both ends and fittings being made of stainless too,so nothing to corrode.Made with better materials including PTFE,passed stringent tests and approved for racing.A big plus with using braided SS lines is a noticeable more firm feel at the brake pedal,which you would appreciate.No affiliation with Alfastop,Just sayin'https://alfastop.co.uk/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi?prod_code=1BRFR101

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
I agree with both opinions on this thread: yes, those old ones have been properly stored and are most likely just fine. Odie has a point that buying new doesn't guarantee freshness. But I also agree that getting new ones is cheap insurance and peace of mind especially for someone who is concerned enough to have contemplated an upgrade to a dual-circuit setup.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
If you are throwing them away ..I'll take them and happily put them to use... The ones on my car are 47 years old . I'll Paypal you 10 bucks

·
Registered
1978 Spider
349 Posts
If you are throwing them away ..I'll take them and happily put them to use... The ones on my car are 47 years old . I'll Paypal you 10 bucks
****...faster than me...lol I'm in the same boat...mine of unknown age...but I'm sorting out other stuff right now...gonna be a while before this car lives again...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts