Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1971 Spider that I restored (bare metal) in 2000. I'm considering selling - kids are off to college in the fall and I don't drive it as much as I should.

My question is if I should sell it here on AlfaBB, or on Bring a Trailer? Anyone with experience selling here and there would be most appreciated.

Here's a shot of the car in a studio - it was a one-off experience that was terrific!

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
BaT will most likely generate a higher selling price within a much shorter period of time.

·
Super Moderator
10,628 Posts
BaT will most likely generate a higher selling price within a much shorter period of time.
I agree with tirefriar. The BB doesn't have as many viewers, and many of its participants (like myself) aren't here to shop for cars. BaT reaches a wider audience, and while many people are only there to make silly comments, others are intent on buying. Plus BaT is an auction, so your car's price is determined by the market (and how well you present it). On the BB, you set an asking price and hope someone else will agree to pay it.

The biggest caveats of BaT are putting up with the ridiculous comments and ensuring BaT agrees to a reasonable reserve. Another unknown is how strong the market is right now for vintage cars.

·
Premium Member
1,555 Posts
While some comments are off base, a good many comments come from very knowledgeable car guys, and once in a while you end up learning something. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While some comments are off base, a good many comments come from very knowledgeable car guys, and once in a while you end up learning something. Just my thoughts.
I agree the comments can be ‘off base’ - and sometimes I think that’s half the fun with BAT - and why they generate so many views.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with tirefriar. The BB doesn't have as many viewers, and many of its participants (like myself) aren't here to shop for cars. BaT reaches a wider audience, and while many people are only there to make silly comments, others are intent on buying. Plus BaT is an auction, so your car's price is determined by the market (and how well you present it). On the BB, you set an asking price and hope someone else will agree to pay it.

The biggest caveats of BaT are putting up with the ridiculous comments and ensuring BaT agrees to a reasonable reserve. Another unknown is how strong the market is right now for vintage cars.
Interesting re: the reserve process with BAT. I had not considered that they might have input to the reserve price. Thanks! Guess I need to get it looking as good as possible, with plenty of documentation. Time to crack open the inch + thick folder and see what’s really in there! I have owned the car for 28 years.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,534 Posts
Yeah, there's a lot of dopes on there who fashion themselves car experts. But still probably the best way to get top dollar for a car like that.

The best things you can do are take a ton of photos and actively participate in the discussion by answering questions.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have a 1971 Spider that I restored (bare metal) in 2000. I'm considering selling - kids are off to college in the fall and I don't drive it as much as I should.

My question is if I should sell it here on AlfaBB, or on Bring a Trailer? Anyone with experience selling here and there would be most appreciated.

Here's a shot of the car in a studio - it was a one-off experience that was terrific! View attachment 1621972
I would try the AlfaBB first, and would not be embarrassed about the price I ask. Yes, you will get comments good and bad, it’s just how it works. Embrace the the good ones and learn from or ignore the bad ones. What better place to advertise in than the AlfaBB?

Great looking car!

Good Luck with your sale.

Kevin

1993 Spider Veloce
2016 4c Coupe
2018 4c Spider

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Reserve could be a sticky point with BaT. I've attempted to list several motorcycles with BaT and each time there was a lengthy negotiations regarding reserves. In both cases BaT initially insisted on "no reserve" and eventually agreed to listing with reserve. In both cases I found buyers before I had an opportunity to proceed with listings.

As for the comments, I wouldn't worry so much. BaT has matured and perhaps no more than 10% of the comments will be off-base

·
Super Moderator
10,628 Posts
I would try the AlfaBB first, and would not be embarrassed about the price I ask.
I agree with that; listing it here on the BB will cost you nothing and you might get lucky and make a satisfactory deal. Then, if it doesn't sell here after a few weeks, you can always move on to BaT or some other avenue. Just be aware that the odds are a bit long here on the BB.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Plenty of crossover between AlfaBB and BaT in terms of members so listing the price here may hurt in the long run when trying to get optimal bid on BaT. Of course, you can list the car on AlfaBB without listing the price but going that route may not generate too much excitement.

·
Registered
7,759 Posts
Location location location...If you can't find a buyer on the west coast for what you are asking , You are expecting too much and I think BAT is a waste of time. I'd put it in the Owner or Hemmings if you have a not-less-than number... BaT is no panacea. You still have to deal with the buyer and he doesn't have a contract to buy. The only thing he does is pay them a commission .. then all bets are off. If he doesn't like the price he can walk or screw you down if the car doesn't meet his expectations.. I bought on BaT a cheap car and it was touch and go for me if the car passed muster .The seller was naive and wanted to ship the car to me but no way.. It did work out but I was prepared to walk and lose $400 if it didn't.. You never hear all the stories i the Naked City.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I am a huge fan of BaT and have sold a Flavia Coupe there and got a world record price. I know the team pretty well and they are great. As a seller, there are well established do's and don't's. Here is my take on it:

• Present the car super honestly and transparently. This includes transparency on the condition, alterations from original (e.g. engine, color, etc.), any existing flaws, especially body/ rust and mechanical.

• The more pictures and the more professionally done, the better. Don't use your old iPhone. Use neutral backgrounds to make the car shine. Don't do filters, artsy stuff that will distract from the car, the honest representation, color, etc. A high end camera does wonders in terms of quality

• Provide all the documentation you can. Alfa certificate, verifying originality, receipts, restoration receipts, restoration pictures, especially around the difficult work, etc.

• Stay involved as much as you can. Answer all questions, address issues honestly. Have knowledge what is original, was original, etc. Your car, so you are the expert. Show that to everybody. That's the way to address potential snipers or negative commenters. You have more power to curate the conversation than you think if you demonstrate expertise and stay involved

• Be realistic about the price. BaT will take a reserve. but like any other auction house, they know the market pretty well. And they will turn you down if you have unrealistic expectations, especially right now. Plenty of tools out there to gauge market: Auction results, BaT's own tracking that is neat, Hagerty, SCM, etc. Most sellers make the mistake of "I am $xx,xxx in the restoration and I want that back.". That, unfortunately does not work if it is not aligned with the market value of make, model and condition.

• One point to realize if you offer the car first in other venues, such as other auctions or sites like AlfaBB or Hemmings: People will remember that and your asking price. And the best way to get a first negative comment or an endless conversation on the price as opposed the qualities of the car is "THis car was for an asking for $60k on AlfaBB. I bet it will not make reserve/ seller is delusional/ etc./ etc.."
And you never know. great cars still bring great results on BaT. For me, it was a ton of fun. Hope that's helpful.

Mike

·
Registered
359 Posts
They are currently bidding $4800 on a 1982 Mercury Zephyr Wagon if that's any help. I have sold 2 cars on Bat and while I wouldn't say it's "easy" you are appealing to loads more people. It takes about 3 weeks to get it listed (at least pre-covid) Do not hire them for photos! ANY Alfa owner can do a far better job than the snot nosed "pro" they sent to me. After all, I think we all know how to photograph a beauty.

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,568 Posts
I am a huge fan of BaT and have sold a Flavia Coupe there and got a world record price. I know the team pretty well and they are great. As a seller, there are well established do's and don't's. Here is my take on it:

• Present the car super honestly and transparently. This includes transparency on the condition, alterations from original (e.g. engine, color, etc.), any existing flaws, especially body/ rust and mechanical.

• The more pictures and the more professionally done, the better. Don't use your old iPhone. Use neutral backgrounds to make the car shine. Don't do filters, artsy stuff that will distract from the car, the honest representation, color, etc. A high end camera does wonders in terms of quality

• Provide all the documentation you can. Alfa certificate, verifying originality, receipts, restoration receipts, restoration pictures, especially around the difficult work, etc.

• Stay involved as much as you can. Answer all questions, address issues honestly. Have knowledge what is original, was original, etc. Your car, so you are the expert. Show that to everybody. That's the way to address potential snipers or negative commenters. You have more power to curate the conversation than you think if you demonstrate expertise and stay involved

• Be realistic about the price. BaT will take a reserve. but like any other auction house, they know the market pretty well. And they will turn you down if you have unrealistic expectations, especially right now. Plenty of tools out there to gauge market: Auction results, BaT's own tracking that is neat, Hagerty, SCM, etc. Most sellers make the mistake of "I am $xx,xxx in the restoration and I want that back.". That, unfortunately does not work if it is not aligned with the market value of make, model and condition.

• One point to realize if you offer the car first in other venues, such as other auctions or sites like AlfaBB or Hemmings: People will remember that and your asking price. And the best way to get a first negative comment or an endless conversation on the price as opposed the qualities of the car is "THis car was for an asking for $60k on AlfaBB. I bet it will not make reserve/ seller is delusional/ etc./ etc.."
And you never know. great cars still bring great results on BaT. For me, it was a ton of fun. Hope that's helpful.

Mike
Great input. I know at one point if you had listed it elsewhere BAT would turn it down.

If they do turn it down don't be afraid to list it here, on Craigslist and on eBay. The last spider i sold was through Craigslist. Although a buyer in Seattle saw it and drove down to Portland to buy it. It wasn't nearly as nice as yours.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
182 Posts
Try BaT first. Not every car makes it, yours should. Hopefully they will let you set a reserve. You will do better there. Some nice Spiders have been getting good money. There is a 1969 Duetto on BaT now that had a documented build on here. Check it out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have bought and sold several cars on BAT and have always been really happy with the results. I'm also active on several enthusiast boards (alfabb, 914world, pelicanparts, etc) and have found that while the potential buyers are more knowledgeable and more passionate about the marque. Buyers on the forums tend to be looking for better deals than the buyers on BAT. I found that BAT buyers are more "retail shoppers" and are willing to pay more for a nice car. Judging by the looks of your Spider, you should definitely sell on BAT and I'd expect you'd get top dollar.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I bought my GTV from the BB classifieds several years ago before BaT sold anything. One of the big advantages for the buyer here (at least in my case) was I was able to check past postings about the car from the seller. Gave me a lot of confidence to pull the trigger quickly with no PPI.
I've been on BaT since way before they began their auctions. I liked it better as a fun place to hang out before all the money began changing hands, but there is absolutely no doubt in my mind it's the best way to get top dollar for a quality GTV (maybe a Spider too). You'll need to be thick-skinned and patient with the inevitable lame comments. Not sure I can do it. I agree with MBaum's advice about selling.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts