Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of rebuilding the rear suspention of my '67 duetto. The springs apper to be original. Should the 40 year old springs be replaced?
If so what type ?
Also should I replace the trunnion bushings where they meet the body?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
10,165 Posts
Well, that depends on whether they need replacing.

Trunion arm bushings - the pair that attach between the chassis and the arm - don't last forever. Look at them, and see if there is a gap between the metal piece that bolts to the chassis and the movable arm. If there is, then the arm can move from side-to-side, allowing your differential to move as well.

From what I understand, it's kind of a *&^&( to replace those bushings. You need to press them on in the right orientation. Some arms have a notch stamped that I guess orients the bushing. I've never done it - I've just found good used arms.

The little bushing that goes between the arm and the differential housing is easy to replace. Certainly do that one if you have it all apart.

The springs could last forever. They are certainly understressed! Unless your's are really rusted, or your car is sagging, they're probably fine. Warning: Those aftermarket springs that promise to lower your car and make it handle like a F1 machine tend to be WAY too stiff. If you do need to replace your springs read some of the many threads on the BB that discuss the topic. My recommendation is to try to find replacements with a spring rate close to stock.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
great info

thanks for the great information. Any recomendation on shocks ? I want it to ride nice but not super firm or harsh. I am more about the crusing not the agressive driving.

thanks again

Roger

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
Roger,

If you use the search facility you'll find that the same kind of issues you're now facing have probably been Q&A'ed many times over. If you have original springs, there's a good chance that some (if not all) of your suspension components are also factory original, and that's not really a good thing after 40 years. My advice? Do it all, don't economise by deciding that one particular bush might have another year left in it. Original specification springs are available. And don't listen to those who tell you to use polyurethane bushes everywhere, either. You'll only need them in two locations.

Original shock absorbers for Duettos do turn up on eBay from time to time, sometimes even NOS, but most people find that Koni Classic dampers (the red ones) are more than enough.

Good luck :)

Alex.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts