Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again,
So, I'm looking into buying a Spider. I looked at one local to me today, and drove it a little. There is some rust on the front jack points. And some dents here and there on the body. Other then that cosmetically it looks good. When I started it, it took one or two turn overs and then it purred to life. As I drove it I noticed a vibration when going about 20-25 mph. I could feel it in the floor and through the stick.

Here are pictures to show some of the problem areas I noticed and maybe you all can point out some other areas I should be weary of.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Rust in a Spider chassis is quite literally like the tip of an iceberg. Unless that car is relatively inexpensive, or you like to cut and weld, use caution. Not to be discouraging, but those of us with long-term Alfa experience have all been there, done that.

·
Registered
92 Posts
How much$? Assuming the engine is strong, it looks like it could easily be a daily driver without a great deal of work (it looks better than the one I bought). BTW, great pictures!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not to be discouraging, but those of us with long-term Alfa experience have all been there, done that.
Its not discouraging. I know that this would be a life time project basically. I have no problems with that. I just don't want to end up buying a Spider that will cave in on its self. If you know what I mean. I want all feed back!

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,017 Posts
That sill picture is a bit troubling. That combined with the rust on the airbox, fan pulley, and the brake booster makes me think the Florida salt air has seriously gotten to this one. As stated, definitely use caution.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How much$? Assuming the engine is strong, it looks like it could easily be a daily driver without a great deal of work (it looks better than the one I bought). BTW, great pictures!
Well, The KBB (I know a bad figure) is $6,155 for a "good" condition. The seller is asking $4,000 and today I talked to him on the phone and got him down to $3,500 and I didn't mention the rust I found (I should have).

The engine felt good. It seems a little flakey when first fired up, but it stays running. I am a little worried about the transmission though. The seller claimed that the "vibrations" where common in '86 models. I'm not sure.

(No body better steal my Alfa before I have a chance to buy it :p )

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That sill picture is a bit troubling. That combined with the rust on the airbox, fan pulley, and the brake booster makes me think the Florida salt air has seriously gotten to this one. As stated, definitely use caution.
Well if it's not too far gone, I would like to remove everything from under the car, repair rust and spray Rhino Liner, or something similar over the entire underbody.

My dad and I did that to a Jeep of ours once. It works well for that application. Would it for this too?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm no expert but that sounds a bit high to me considering the repairs that are needed. Although, if you can cut and weld sheetmetal yourself you may be getting close to a reasonable price when also considering your future repair cost. At his asking price, I would expect the engine and drivetrain to be trouble free. Just my opinion...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm no expert but that sounds a bit high to me considering the repairs that are needed. Although, if you can cut and weld sheetmetal yourself you may be getting close to a reasonable price when also considering your future repair cost. At his asking price, I would expect the engine and drivetrain to be trouble free. Just my opinion...
What price would you be expecting? It only has 58k.

I can cut and weld myself, if I have the tools. Where I am now, its not really an option. I do have some maintenance garages nearby that could do some of that for me, for some $$$ of course. Like I said before the engine felt pretty strong and the tranny felt good, the stick was a little loose but I don't think its too bad.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Speedo and Odometer did work. How accurate the speedo is, is another question. I don't have a good way to check that when I'm out and about.

I did see that one! BUT, and its a big one!, I would really like to see the car, drive it, look at it, and such before I buy it. My dad bought an '86 Quad on eBay, it ended up being a HUGE mistake. I would prefer to buy locally.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Rust

Ditto Gubi's analysis.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Take a look at the motor mounts. The engine looks a bit low. Not an impossible job to replace but a PITA and could be causing the vibration. When the mounts sag the motor bottoms out on the sump guard transferring the vibrations from the engine directly to the car. Anothe clue to this is a shatteres or worn down cooling fan.

·
Administrator
17,451 Posts
As stated, the rust is troubling. Before you buy, go back for another look. Try to determine the condition of the floors and the inner sills (both will be hidden under the carpeting however...). If the seller will allow remove the front inner splash panels (you'll need a phillips screw driver) so you can peek inside. That will give more info about the extent of any rust.

If you don't find anything worse than what is shown in the photos, you might consider spraying some rust converter or POR 15 into the sills/rockers to preserve whatever steel remains.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Take a look at the motor mounts. The engine looks a bit low. Not an impossible job to replace but a PITA and could be causing the vibration. When the mounts sag the motor bottoms out on the sump guard transferring the vibrations from the engine directly to the car. Anothe clue to this is a shatteres or worn down cooling fan.
I did look at the mounts. But that doesn't mean much because I have nothing to compare them too. You could be right. And that sounds like something I may be able to do here on my own.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As stated, the rust is troubling. Before you buy, go back for another look. Try to determine the condition of the floors and the inner sills (both will be hidden under the carpeting however...). If the seller will allow remove the front inner splash panels (you'll need a phillips screw driver) so you can peek inside. That will give more info about the extent of any rust.

If you don't find anything worse than what is shown in the photos, you might consider spraying some rust converter or POR 15 into the sills/rockers to preserve whatever steel remains.
I looked there too. I did not see anything, but I may not have looked far enough down or forward or aft. I will look into the rust spray.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts