Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a question i have found someone local to me selling a 94 164LS seems to be in good condition may need new head gaskets since compression is bad on one cylinder, but i have a whole spare engine so i am not to worried, the car is automatic and the girlfriend likes it and could be a chance to get her out of her aisian car i dislike so much (we will still keep it as a spare incase the alfa needs work hahaha)...... but just not sure if i need another project car already have two alfa's that need work :rolleyes: but the price is right about 1400 dollars and there is still room in my parents barn... what do you guys thinks.... should i go for it and get another alfa for christmas

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
I'd say go for it!

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Well, if it were me, yes - I'd go for it. Mind you however, this is the opinion of someone who just drives Alfas. I really like the 164 editions, and consider my Q a keeper, but I still view it and use it as serious transportation. I find that a well sorted 164 is a joy to own, and it is a car that will compare favorably against many modern machines. If you are going to "convert" her, a 164 is your best shot.

Best regards,

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
You said it may need a head gasket since "bad" compression on one cylinder :confused: How bad is bad? This could be bent valves, but maybe no big deal if you have spare engine. Though perhaps easier to repair that one head instead of swapping entire engine.

But how can you go wrong with a $1400 LS in decent shape :)

Jes

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Go for it - even then - with bent valves/blown hg I'd be a buyer of the core...

·
Premium Member
26,815 Posts
Go for it!

If you got the room I say go for it. Have you priced the cost of a new AUTO LOAN lately? I got scared off a 2007 Mazda 6 Sport Wagon even with a 3250 rebate the loan payments are scary.

·
Premium Member
15,539 Posts
Don't buy unless you know and trust a very good mechanic who knows (in fact, is anal) about how to properly set the timing belt on the 24v. My mechanic, who is superbly skilled on all cars Italian, really doesn't like them at all, but is anal about getting it right. Says that there is very little room for error in that design (looked at an opened up 32 valve Ferrari v-8 engine today, that design is much better). Although I really like the engine and how the car goes (with the Q runners, etc), I have to tell you I wouldn't own one if it weren't for this guy.

I tend to use the car for long trips, and don't like the idea of losing sleep over worrying about being left out in the middle of nowhere, compared to other cars, and even the 12v. The 94/95's they see where the belt has jumped are usually set by owners or mechanics who just can't get it right enough. I've already decided that if he starts charging me more to do that job, by God he will get it. If he leaves, goodbye LS.

My opinion, of course.

·
Premium Member
9,745 Posts
Don't buy unless you know and trust a very good mechanic who knows (in fact, is anal) about how to properly set the timing belt on the 24v. My mechanic, who is superbly skilled on all cars Italian, really doesn't like them at all, but is anal about getting it right. Says that there is very little room for error in that design (looked at an opened up 32 valve Ferrari v-8 engine today, that design is much better). Although I really like the engine and how the car goes (with the Q runners, etc), I have to tell you I wouldn't own one if it weren't for this guy.

I tend to use the car for long trips, and don't like the idea of losing sleep over worrying about being left out in the middle of nowhere, compared to other cars, and even the 12v. The 94/95's they see where the belt has jumped are usually set by owners or mechanics who just can't get it right enough. I've already decided that if he starts charging me more to do that job, by God he will get it. If he leaves, goodbye LS.

My opinion, of course.

Maybe?
Here is what is what may happen, you will buy it, it will become your slave, you will spend endless hours repairing the "problem" (only due to sloppy previous work with is the case 95% of the time) and when all is said and done it will domino into a whole bunch of other problems. OR.... it will be the car you have always wanted. You have a 50/50 chance...:p
I am in no way saying this will be a money pit but I have a feeling it might unless you have the time, money and patience to really dig into it I would not do it.
I would also not like to see it parted as well, sort of sad to see these cars broken up just for the motor, IMO. I mean if the car is demolished well that is a different story. I only part trashed cars. If it is nice I tend not to buy them. I leave them for someone else to enjoy or destroy.;)
If it takes a few grand to get it up and running as a whole car by all means I hope that is the way it ends up as these are great cars and they should stay on the road. So now that I say that, I may have changed my mind and I will say go for it; if you will be the one to make the above happen!
Don't let it be cannabilized, so yes buy it up quick.

Good luck
Ciao!

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
If You Have the Space and Time, Go for It!

This sounds like a terrific deal if you have the time and space to get the car sorted before you give it to your girlfriend. If you can give her a sorted 164, it will probably cement your relationship, but if you give her a car that leaves her stranded by the side of the road, which her *** car would never do, you may lose her forever.

So it's your call. Can you get this car to the reliablity level she expects? I think you can, but a 164 is at least 12 years old, and even *** cars lose reliablity at this point in their lives. My 164Q ran great, but one day I got in it and the clutch pedal dropped to the floor. This would have been a disaster if it was my only driver, but I have a Taurus SHO that I can also use, so it was not a big deal. But I'm going on two weeks to fix this relatively minor problem.

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
I think that, for the money you will spend on a yearly basis, it is no more or no less costly than any other premium car. I reconciled to this fact early on.

However, with other Alfas to maintain I have found that the time investment was larger than anticipated. My LS has been non-functional since the end of June with bent valves due to a freak accident. Last year the water pump and timing belt bearings absorbed six weeks. The year before it was the clutch.

Just bear in mind: this is not a Honda. The scheduled maintenance is the minimum that one can be expected to do.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
should i get another 164LS
Poll is a lot to nothing! :eek: I sure hope that you don't feel that we may be a little biased. :rolleyes: We are alfisti, and therefore a smart group. ;)

Best regards,

·
Premium Member
15,539 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I really like this LS I have, but I suspect for most people it is better suited as a town car because of the questionable reliability if it is not done correctly. Done correctly, however, the car is wonderful in the driving sensation which is hard to find in other makes, and reliable, although I cannot speak for the automatic version (I'm just not into automatics).

Through the years, I have found Alfas to be pretty darn reliable, more or less. I am able to drive thousands of miles between any problem, and some of the Alfas never did get me grief. The 24v is just a lot closer to the edge. I certainly don't think it is the car for a non "car" person who doesn't have a feel for mechanical things.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the insight guys, the mai reason i was going to get the car is to make sure it wouldn't be parted out, but i called the guy last night and he said he sold it :( well maybe we will have a new member to the bb soon and can spread the alfa virus :p but i guess things all work out for a reason. i know the alfa is not a reliable as her toyota, (well after i started maintaining it) she really did not take care of it one time she was running it low on oil.....so i am her mechanic, i hear about every little things that is wrong with the car and its not a bad car, i just don't feel i have anymore room in my head to learn about another car..... would like her to get something that i am a little more familar with

·
Registered
852 Posts
since u r asking on an 'obvious' forum, I would say YES... while ya r on this n/w... nothin is impossible with these cars. Buy it and get it to perfect condition even if it takes a little more time.

-Pavan

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
I am sometimes tempted to get an LS to replace my wife's Jeep GC. I really like the looks of the LS better than earlier models. However, there currently is an S for sale here locally as well. Will an LS require more maintenance than an L or S? Is there really a big difference between the 12V and 24V engines?

·
Premium Member
26,815 Posts
I am sometimes tempted to get an LS to replace my wife's Jeep GC. I really like the looks of the LS better than earlier models. However, there currently is an S for sale here locally as well. Will an LS require more maintenance than an L or S? Is there really a big difference between the 12V and 24V engines?

Ask the S seller he as a 24v, too. I know him and have rented him my 24v tools in the past.

Are you a wrench turner and in the market for lining up a set of 24v special tools. If not keep the GCJ. We also have GCJ with only 215,000 miles and two 164 12v models as our three daily drivers now that daughter is driving. We too want to replace GCJ as my wife's daily driver with another 12v NOT 24v 164. I plan to sell my truck and keep the Jeep for my parts trailer hauler once we have another rescue project 164 finished.

I do maintain one 24v for a fellow club member but it is not my favorite 164 to work on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts