Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Maybe some of you remember me posting this awhile ago, but here's a little reminder of the situation.

http://alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=36783

So here's the current deal with the car. About 4 months ago they finally decided they needed to do something about the car sitting around and took it to Difatta Brothers. After 2 weeks went by the wife informed us that she they still hadn't looked at it but she would call them tomorrow for an update to see what the situation was (supposedly to be nice to us.) Well that was 4 months ago and we never heard anything except until about 3 months ago. The Difatta guy finally took a look at the car and said that it needed so much work that he wasn't even going to itemize it for them. The wife wasn't happy about this and didn't believe that the guy was telling the truth. (We told her the same thing and she didn't believe us! She's friggin crazy!)

So this morning I talked to the husband to Finalize this situation since we have other car problems going on. He's finally gotten his wife to admit they need to get rid of the car. I can have the car if I pay the $250 dollar bill to Difatta. I told him this basically word for word "Honestly... ..... I can't really see paying for the car at this point in time since you guys have been so unclear about the whole situation. I think it's ridiculous for you to ask me to do that at this point in time. If this was a few months ago though I would understand." We agreed that he would have to pay back the money I put into the car and pay me for all the time I put into it. He's planning on trying to sell it on Ebay for $1,500 as a non-running car. He's still trying to profit from the car!! :D

Do people think that this was a bad move on my part? What would other
people do in these types of situations? I'm sure some of you have dealt with similar complex situations. It does sound like a reasonable deal, but quite frankly they have wasted a massive amounts of my time and energy. The Bill I'm sure will be more than $250 to get it out and nothing has been done on the car. Also he's a Doctor and can bite the the bullet on this one. I don't currently have all the resources to get it into shape, although I could just suck it up and buy it as a parts car. Is that a good plan? Just to buy and sell off the parts of the car? This would probably happen anyway except I don't think he's even going to sell the car on Ebay since he's asking too much. Please let me know what I should do?

Thanks Again and Please Help!
Adam

·
Registered
414 Posts
I just quickly perused the linked thread and have to say I think the best thing to do right now is walk away. Request that they pay for the parts (~$150 as I recall) and walk.

Sounds like the wife is not all that reasonable. If the car means so much to her, wouldn't she want it to go to a good home, one that will fix it up and give it the attention it needs instead of simply placing it on Ebay? I know that when the time come to sell my very beloved Alfa, I'll be very picky about who buys the car.

For similar, or slightly more money you can get a car that has been maintained. Might take a road trip but that simply adds to the fun. At this point, you have invested a lot of time and some money into this project so I suggest you cut your losses and let the neighbors fend for themselves. I suspect in a bit of time they'll come to the realization they should have taken your generous offer. Hopefully they'll come to this realization just as you pull up in your new-to-you Alfa!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Turn around and walk away, now. The should'ave-would'ave-could'ave was to have done so back when, it ain't no Ferrari - you made the offer back when they didn't accept and wash your hands of it ... a lot of times you want a car even more and will do/pay more just to get it regardless of the car being really worth it ... you still need to walk away.

If you ignored them and told them forget it, they probably wouldn't really put it on ebay, and then days, weeks or months down the road would ask if you'll take the car for much less than $1500. Or they may get you to do more work on it, and she may never sell it.

GV

·
Registered
91 Posts
Don't walk, run. The previous owners would be pestering you forever no matter what. Get something better and you won't have issues from the neighbours down the track for a start.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Punt! If you know rats have been lurking around the car don't touch it. Rats love anything rubber as it is chewy to them. They can't digest and poop the stuff so one or two could actually be dead somewhere in the car (a vent, a crevice). The damage they can do to wiring is amazing and costly. PS... By the looks of their garage, I don't think I'd go to this doc, but that's me!!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Last month on vacation I happened to watch pimp my ride on mtv this gal had a amc Pacer and when they went to take it apart they pulled the dash and back seat to find them filled with rat crap ... then they found the live rat too! It was funny as hell, but really sick as the girl had been driving the car around that way ... you'd have thought she'd smell something.

Anway ... how about you put a WTB ad on the bb here for Spider and how much you can spend and the area you live in, I bet someone has something for you that is running.

GV

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Should I Buy Neighbors Alfa Spider (Update)

You've gotten a lot of good advice on this thread. I will offer that I was once told never to buy or sell a car among friends, it usually ends up with hard feelings on someone's part. So if one thing goes wrong, remember, that you still have to live next door to these people unless one of you intends to move. It's kind of like fencing between neighbors....and don't even ask how that is going.

As for rats, really mice, but the same family; Pat's Berlina arrived from Michigan with a dead one sitting right in the middle of the dash. It was a different experience for me to get in and drive it like that when it was delivered; but it beat touching it and moving it. Actually, I found possums that liked our Alfas for homes more challenging and disgusting than mice. The mice at least scurry, the possums stand their ground and defend it. They seemed to miss the point that they were the intruder and not an invited guest in our car.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I think you are all right! I should walk away and just find another good car that I could work on. That's exactly what I did! Near my house I noticed a '69 Porsche 912 Targa that had been sitting around. I talked to the owner who just got it running and wanted to sell it online but since I stopped by is more inclined to just sell it to me. (He just got a Porsche Carrera and has a Chevy Corvair.) It's in amazing condition (although the floors need to be replaced) and he's asking $8000 which is out of my price range. Unless I parted out the Alfa! Which might not be the best idea. It would be more enjoyable to park a perfectly restored Spider in front of their house! :D

Sounds like the wife is not all that reasonable. If the car means so much to her, wouldn't she want it to go to a good home, one that will fix it up and give it the attention it needs instead of simply placing it on Ebay? I know that when the time come to sell my very beloved Alfa, I'll be very picky about who buys the car.
Your completely right! She is the most unreasonable, irrational, forgetful, and unthoughtful person I have ever come across! If the car did mean something to her she would have given it to a good home. The only reason she was clinging to it soooo much was because the husband wanted to get rid of it, but she didn't! I think he kept encouraging her and it kept making it worse.

Friends/Neighbors? Definitely not anymore! They have used up all of our patience and niceness. Besides think of how this will look to other people in the neighborhood? I think he knows if he doesn't pay me back that would make things even worse. They both seem to have a lot of people skills that need developing! :mad:

In a real honest assessment for what the car is worth I would say $500 or less. Especially because of the mice which you guys probably are right about. I wouldn't disagree there. (I remember that Pimp My Ride episode that was crazy and really funny!) In terms of selling it on Ebay they definitely won't get $1500. They also want to sell it while it's at Difatta. Just so everyone knows don't buy a White '90 Alfa Spider Parts Car from there! You're going to be dealing with crazy people! :D

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'd be careful what you say online. It is open for anyone, including your neighbors to read. I would definitely run from that deal though. There are lots of Alfas out there that would be a better deal.

Good luck,
Andy

·
Registered
461 Posts
FYI, The '69 912 Targa is THE 912 you want. Great car! Last year (76 doesn't count) and very desirable. Try to pick it up for less if you can and if rust is limited to the floors. Check the compression. It could be a good appreciating driver as you...

·
Registered
702 Posts
I'll have to say I disagree with most of the other comments here. If the guy wants to give it away fine, but if he wants at least something for all the trouble and time he has put into it than he deserves that too. You don't have to be the one to pay it unless you want that car. Two-fifty doesn't sound too bad to me if (1) you want a project car, or (2) you want to tear it apart and part it out (there is probably more than $250 there in parts if you want to go through the bother).

I wouldn't be trashing the guy just because he expects something for his property.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
If you recall I had sent you some pics of a real nice, perfectly running 79 Spider with a new top and redone interior. It sold for $1750. Unless you want to spend a TON more to get this car road worthy, "Run Forrest, Run".

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know this situation is already completely ridiculous, but here's the new deal!

When my family and I were getting ready to leave for the airport for vacation we got a knock on the door. It was my neighbor who had some interesting news. He apparently said that they were bringing home the car from Difatta since the guy wants it off his lot. Obviously they don't intend to get anything done on the car and Difatta needs the space. They are ditching the plan to try to sell it on eBay since they don't want the hassle. Difatta wasn't going to charge anything since no actually labor was done on the car. My neighbor said he explained the situation with the car (regarding us) and the Difatta guy said he'd rather see this car run for another 100,000 miles then be junked. They plan on donating the car. Unless we want it we were told we could just "take it" and call it even. (I didn't talk to him directly my stepdad did.)

It seems like this would be a good situation to be in.... but I honestly feel like taking the money is a better plan at this point. We left July 2nd and I still don't see the car in their driveway. It for sure isn't in their garage since they put lots of stuff in there when I moved it out. Which means it is still at Difatta! It needs a lot of work just to get it running. I'm pretty sure I don't have the funds to even get it running! Taking a parts car isn't a good plan either. There's a good chance we might be moving fairly soon and it would be big hassle to have such a car like the Alfa. I also don't know why it would still be at Difatta? Even if I was going to get the car for Free I still feel entitled to the money. They would have had to probably pay me in the first place anyway and they've wasted so much of my time!

I just don't want to deal with the car or them anymore! I am planning on just asking for our money. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Should I Buy Neighbors Alfa Spider (Update)

I know this situation is already completely ridiculous, but here's the new deal!

When my family and I were getting ready to leave for the airport for vacation we got a knock on the door. It was my neighbor who had some interesting news. He apparently said that they were bringing home the car from Difatta since the guy wants it off his lot. Obviously they don't intend to get anything done on the car and Difatta needs the space. They are ditching the plan to try to sell it on eBay since they don't want the hassle. Difatta wasn't going to charge anything since no actually labor was done on the car. My neighbor said he explained the situation with the car (regarding us) and the Difatta guy said he'd rather see this car run for another 100,000 miles then be junked. They plan on donating the car. Unless we want it we were told we could just "take it" and call it even. (I didn't talk to him directly my stepdad did.)

It seems like this would be a good situation to be in.... but I honestly feel like taking the money is a better plan at this point. We left July 2nd and I still don't see the car in their driveway. It for sure isn't in their garage since they put lots of stuff in there when I moved it out. Which means it is still at Difatta! It needs a lot of work just to get it running. I'm pretty sure I don't have the funds to even get it running! Taking a parts car isn't a good plan either. There's a good chance we might be moving fairly soon and it would be big hassle to have such a car like the Alfa. I also don't know why it would still be at Difatta? Even if I was going to get the car for Free I still feel entitled to the money. They would have had to probably pay me in the first place anyway and they've wasted so much of my time!

I just don't want to deal with the car or them anymore! I am planning on just asking for our money. What do you guys think?
Ridiculous, is an understatement!!!!

If they're not going to pay Difatta, what makes you think they will pay you? My best guess, if you get any money it will be by suing them. If they should come through with money I'd run quickly to the bank and make sure the check is good, take the cash and make that move, or use it and some of your own to build an 8' fence or higher.

You should have walked away long ago; do it while you still have the chance instead of bringing the simmering pot to a rolling boil.

·
Registered
414 Posts
So you're asking people on an Alfa board if they would take a free Alfa or not? Hmmmm...

All depends on what you want. If you have the room, the learning factor would be worth quite a bit. You could take it simply as a tool to hone some basic automotive skills that you can use for the rest of your life.

If not, give your neighbors a firm answer that you are no longer interested so everyone can move on. You could also suggest they simply post the free car here or on craigslist. I think it would be out of their hair within a day or two.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Hey Alex. This sounds like it's right up your alley since your moving ops to the Baltimore area.

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Wow Brad! You are really trying to saddle me with this Spider from hell? It might be worth it just because of the stories that go with it I suppose!:D

But...after having read the whole thread, this sounds like something I would have to look at very carefully before taking any kind of a plunge.

See ya in the morning at the Brass Bell for the Euro GP!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
All depends on what you want. If you have the room, the learning factor would be worth quite a bit. You could take it simply as a tool to hone some basic automotive skills that you can use for the rest of your life.

If not, give your neighbors a firm answer that you are no longer interested so everyone can move on. You could also suggest they simply post the free car here or on craigslist. I think it would be out of their hair within a day or two.

Your totally right! This car would have been a great car for tinkering around with. It would have been a great learning experience if I had gotten it long time ago. Now it's just been a learning experience of how not to deal with people that obviously aren't reasonable! I will admit I have learned some things, but not nearly as much as I could have if I had the car in the first place.

By the way I hate to burst anyone's bubble who maybe was hoping for a "Free Spider" but I'm positive my neighbors aren't going to give up the car for Free! I assume in their minds they either:

A. Want to give me the car for "Free" so they don't have to pay me back the couple hundred they owe me. I guess they figure that would make it kind of an even trade. Then that would also square things up with us! :D :mad: ........Not Really!

B. Donate it (or possibly sell it), so they could at least recoup some value from the car. So it wouldn't be a total loss for them.

Thanks for the concern about getting the money back, but it shouldn't be a problem. I already showed the husband the Bill and he agreed to pay it. (He probably laughed at it since it isn't that much to him!) Like I mentioned before how do you think it would look to the other neighbors if he didn't pay me back? He knows he doesn't want to make the situation any worse than it already is.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts