Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't ever seem to see anything about replacing the clutch fluid when you replace brake fluid. As I understand it, they share the same reservoir, at least on a '69, but the fluid along the high pressure path for the clutch would have to bled separately. Should I be doing this ?

Cheers,
Jeff

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
They are the same material and degrade at the same rate, so yeah, replace the clutch stuff whenever the brake stuff is done and vice versa even if they are seperate resevoirs.

If they do indeed share the same resevoir, doing such is a must onnaconna there will be contamination of the new by the remaining old as they move back and forth intermixing in the resevoir.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,039 Posts
On a US 69 they do not share the same reservoir, perhaps a single cuircut Euro?? I do them both every 1-2 years nonetheless.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies..

OK, I thought the two reservoirs were joined by that hose underneath, but apparently not.

so 2 more questions:

looks like I need to bleed both the clutch masrter and slave cylinder ? does the master have a bleed valve ?

I cannot find the clutch fluid spec anywhere in the manuals. is it just DOT 4 brake fluid ??

(I guess thats 3 questions )

Cheers,
Jeff

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
The clutch gets the same stuff as what you put in the brakes.

Clear the resevoirs with a turkey baster or simular, mabe even pull them off and wipe them out clean, (or leave them on if you're worried about the seals, but wipe them out regardless), then with plenty of fresh fluid on hand, get after the bleeders at the calipers/drums and clutch slave 'til fresh fluid comes out. Don't let the resevoirs run dry while bleeding things or you may end up with a dry master cylinder which can be kinda tedious to get bled again.

Several folks like to get the colored/dyed fluids so they know the new stuff is in when the color changes from blue to gold or whatever colors they happen to be using.

·
Administrator
17,366 Posts
Several folks like to get the colored/dyed fluids so they know the new stuff is in when the color changes from blue to gold or whatever colors they happen to be using.
You mean the blue fluid doesn't make the car go faster or stop quicker? ;)

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm on it this weekend. thanks again for the info.

Cheers
jeff

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,039 Posts
Thanks for the replies..

OK, I thought the two reservoirs were joined by that hose underneath, but apparently not.

so 2 more questions:

looks like I need to bleed both the clutch masrter and slave cylinder ? does the master have a bleed valve ?

I cannot find the clutch fluid spec anywhere in the manuals. is it just DOT 4 brake fluid ??

(I guess thats 3 questions )

Cheers,
Jeff
On a spec US 69 there is a rectangular tandem BMC reservoir with an overflow dam in the middle so there is one sub-reservoir for each of the two separate circuits (front & rear). The clutch is fed by a separate round reservoir off to the side. Cheers, B

1 - 9 of 9 Posts