Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just started to try and fit the S2000 motor into the "Tomato"
As you can see from the pics, the tranny bellhousing is to tall.
I will have to cut out the original tunnel and fab a custom one.
Im thinking Im going to have to take about 2" of metal off the top.
Steering tie rods may also be a problem, but will address that when
the motor is properly seated into the engine bay. Over all I think
its looking promising, once the motor clears the cross member,
there looks to be ample room for it. I will have to fab up custom
motor mount braces, which is a shame, since the S2000 stock
ones are nicely cast aluminum ones.

I'm thinking of buying a nibbler to cut the metal in a clean fashion.
Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
A cut off wheel might be easier in some places.

Have you dropped in the engine without the trans to see how much it needs to change?

Interesting project, that is for sure...

Eric

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eric,

To tell the truth, I really dont want to split the tranny from the engine.
But, if it becomes necessary I will do it. Not a bad idea to see how the
engine sits in the bay.

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
I know the motor is not seated all the way in, but it looks like you might have a clearance problem with hood? If so, are your going to put some kind of hood scoop?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anthony,

I really do not want to use a scoop, IMO they look tacky.
If need be I will modify the crossmember and adjust the
motor mounts to use the stock hood. I think the motor
sits at a slight angle in the S2000 to clear its hood.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's a pic of the 1750 and S2000 side by side, and looks like the
Alfa engine is ever so slightly taller (without the cart)

Attachments

A

·
0 Posts
going to be interesting with the exhaust on the other side, have you considered dry-sumping it to lower the engine and drivtrain?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
One thing I can see that will be an issue- brake maser/booster clearence.

Unless the engine sits really low (which is still may), they will hit. Have you thought about converting the car to floor pedals?

What will be very interesting- the exhaust on the "wrong" side of the car.

Now if anyone can find me one that the engine costs only $500, I'll copy this for a GRM challenge... :D

I'm sure people are spinning in graves, but I love this project! What axle are you going to use?

Eric

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Eric,

I'm using the stock Alfa axle. I finished the rebuild on that last year.
The dry sump may be an excellent idea to judge fitment.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Keven said:
Eric,

I'm using the stock Alfa axle. I finished the rebuild on that last year.
The dry sump may be an excellent idea to judge fitment.
Being a GTV, that should mean 4.56, yes? The 4.10 is not that bad- I used it on the turbo car, and there is also a 3.8something out there too from automatics. All of the above can be done (like you did I'm sure) with tight clutches. The 5.12 is a little more difficult to do that...

Still, find me one of them for $1000, and I'll be very excited about a new challenge car.

E-

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, its 4.56 The stock S2000 rear end is 4.10, so my car should
have some better low end acceleration, but according to my caculations
my car will cruise at 70mph at 300rpm higher than the S2000, so
not terribly different.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Good for you

I read your cost estimates on the twinspark conversion, about $5000 is what was written. I will post what I'll be spending, but I hope that may be a bit high.

I would think Nick Muto in your neck of the woods might be able to help you with piping. He's remodelled fire walls for the V6's. I considered it but remodelling my firewall and his conversion takes some floor space away and I needed the footspace. His conversion sounds great and makes me wish Alfa had put a V6 in the spider. I actually considered the s2000 motor myself, but the HP output seems to come on at the high range and I didn't like it. Thanks for your pictures it motivates me to get off my b**t and get my TS conversion going. If I could only get that 155 intake manifold from Jim Steck.....................

I was disappointed in not seeing a twinspark conversion at the Seattle Potlatch.

OK, my camshafts are mailed off to Jim. Don't worry about stick in the muds, just leave them in your rearview mirror.

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
Very impressive Kevin!

This thing is going to be a beast once complete. Aren't you going to paint the engine bay before putting the motor in there or are you just test fitting it?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Simon,

Just a dry run before the car gets dipped and off to the body shop for paint.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Before cutting into cross member, you might want to consider a dry sump system. Yeah I know that increases cost. But it might give you a LOT of vertical room to work with.

Erik

A

·
0 Posts
the S2000 runs a 4.1 rear and weighs about 500 lbs more than the GTV, the 4.56 could be to low, but that is a matter of personal preference, tires might not last to long. Gave this some thought some time ago, decided to go with a different motor, wonder how many other alfa drivers are swapping to higher output 4's, some are much less expensive than the TS conversions

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Erik,

I am not very familiar with dry sump set ups. Do you have any links
that could educate me? I would much rather spend a few bucks rather
than start hacking at the cross member!!

alfa of-corse

What motor did you decide on? If I were in Europe, where the twin
spark is plentiful, and lots of parts available I think that would have
been the engine of choice. Here in the States, the twin spark
is a relatively unknown motor, with scarce parts availability (namely
complete engines), hence the high cost of the conversion.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't have any links. But you could no doubt learn a lot with a search of "dry sump" on Google. Basically, the dry sump uses a belt driven pump to directly evacuate the pan and feed pressurized oil to the engine. Because you don't need a reservoir of oil in the pan, you eliminate the need for a deep sump from which the original oil pump draws. I assume there are dry sump pans available for the Honda motor?

Erik

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Keven said:
Simon,

Just a dry run before the car gets dipped and off to the body shop for paint.
I've been following your threads with great admiration, super project sounds like you have the resources to pull it off. My question is, do you think it might be better to get the engine fitted and every thing worked out before sending to the dip tank? It might be better to work on the chassis as is, disaassemble, dip, paint and reassemble; otherwise your going to have to take the body down to nothing, remove harness, etc dip, then fit engine, with lots of cutting, once fitted you'll have to do alot of dissaaambly & cleaning, send to paint & reassemble. Anyway, I think you'll save quite a few hours if you get it all working before you dip. Good luck, RK

1 - 20 of 121 Posts