Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,862 Posts
pretty straighforward with a couple of tricks

Basically the only thing holding the strut in place are 4 bolts on the bottom and ?3? on the top --

the bottom bolts can get very rusty and hard to remove (I am told, i live in so Cal and so I;ve never seen this) so the advice is to liberally wet them with PB blaster or Kroil or Liquid Wrench, etc , whatever you like.

jack the side up , remove the tire, remove the 4 bolts on the bottom and let the hub sag down. Remove the anti-sway bar end link. Pull the hub away from the strut end
remove the top three bolts and the strut comes out in your hand.

replace it

FOr the rears, the top three mounting bolts are fiddly. A 3/8 pnnuematic nut driver with short socket works well there (not a lot of clearance up/down or to swing a ratchet handle ) - same thing

The major trick is to use a second jack to raise the finally-completed hub (with strut attached) to get the antisway bar end link back in the hole and attached. Its not hard just requires a second floor jack

All this from memory, havent done it in a few years!

·
Premium Member
6,862 Posts
difference between 'replacing struts' and 'rebuilding struts'. Replacing them (ie you have another strut in your hand (strut = shock + spring+ perches + boots etc, ie ready-to-install) is as I described.

Rebuilding is more complex as Steve and RIchard describe. Must have spring compressor and quality pneumatic tools. If you're a novice I would advise against as compressed spring stores a LOT of energy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts