Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,783 Posts
I'm soon to do this and document it with fotos and narrative here on the board. Within the next 2 weeks weather permitting if your schedule allows a few weeks to wait. Look at my thread on clutch hydraulics for an example of how I try to make things easy to understand. There's not really much to doing this job (but then I've done many struts on various cars) but time and a somewhat methodical approach to things. I had mine apart recently and the few bits that stood out at me are the lower bearing (the yellow thing in Mr Steves fotos) can come apart in a zillion little balls. The orientation of the struts plates and the spring and all the assorted stuff needs to be right and being able to get the upper nut off the strut rod can be tricky. IIRC it took 20 minutes to get the unit out of the car and on mine, there was no need to disconnect the swaybar links. I will recommend having all the bits available prior to starting. ciao, chris

·
Premium Member
4,783 Posts
come to think of it, if you are replacing the struts then how you get the nut off the top is a moot point. Latch a big vise grip or something similar around the strut rod (shiny part) and go to town. Trouble is that it wants to spin in the tube, thus making removal of the nut tricky. I'm lucky, mine have a way to hold the rod still and use a box wrench to get it loose. Otherwise I'm w/pinino, no need for air power. ciao, chris

1 - 2 of 2 Posts