Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me a "heads-up" on Koni reds vs sport shocks for my '88 spider? It's my daily drive. I already run low-profile 225/40/16 Kumho tires, so the ride is already a little stiff. Am I going to be uncomfortable if I put on the sport Konis?

Also, anyone have experience with Addco antiway bars. They sell a 1" front and rear for the Alfa, as opposed the the 5/8" carried by IAP. Mine already has a touch of oversteer which I like. Will a stiffer rear (or front, or both) be an improvement?

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
I've used Koni reds for almost 30 years so I guess that means I like them. The current setup (68 GTV) is Centerline springs and the Konis set about half. The wife says the ride is WAY to harsh but I think it's perfect.

Stiffening the front bar will increase understeer while stiffening the rear will increase oversteer. If you like oversteer, a 1" rear bar will certainly do it!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I just put IAP springs and KONI reds on my spider with the stock anti-roll bars. I am very happy with the combination. As a daily driver I definitely wouldn't go any stiffer.
I'd do the springs and shocks first before doing anything with the anti-roll bars. This way you have a way to gauge the incremental change and then decide if you want to mess with it any further.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have red KONI's, racing springs, same tire set up -16" rims with KHUMOS, and a rear antisway bar. I really like and when I took the car on the blueridge parkway/ skyline drive it was a hoot and just hugged the curves beautifully. Now driving it in the city, it's a little rough and on bad roads you'd love a kidney belt and roads with ruts are going to pull you into the tracks/tracts?, but if you live where there are nice roads and you don't have mine fields that are disguised as roads then you'll LOVE the Konis. I know I do even with the lousy roads.:D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts