Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I just got a quote from Classic Alfa in UK for some parts. The cost of the parts was £615. The quote for shipping was £590! What the hell?
Had anyone else found this or have a cheaper way to ship parts from UK?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
ive always found shipping to OZ from classic alfa reasonable, was it something large or heavy?

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Vernolese, et al;

Shipping costs can give you ulcers!

A year ago,I was going to buy a certain part from Greig Smith for $110-125 US. Package size was 24" X 12" X 4" and weighed 5 pounds: $240 US to ship it via DHL from Port Elizabeth, SA to Tulsa, OK!!

Some weeks back, I was searching for a new (hopefully, Pilkington) windshield for my '64 Giulia Spider;.I still am. After everything was said and done, the best price I could find was from CA, who had them @ $286 to buy + $386 to ship to Tulsa via DHL; $662 US!!

Ray

·
Registered
`61 Giulietta Spider, `65 Giulia Ti 1750, `69 GT junior 1600, `73 Spider 2000, `74 GTV 2000, `98 156
2,012 Posts
Covid is the problem. We have imported lots of parts from UK and Germany and the freight cost have never been as absurdly dear as they are now. To give a recent example we have just got a quote to send over 4 inner tyre tubes for our 101 spider and believe it or not the quote was $NZ 500. My son is over there and his company import and export product and he has found freight rates because of the shortage of freight aircraft worldwide has escalated prices as well as also significantly slowing freight movement. What used to take 3 days now takes a month.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Covid is the problem. We have imported lots of parts from UK and Germany and the freight cost have never been as absurdly dear as they are now. To give a recent example we have just got a quote to send over 4 inner tyre tubes for our 101 spider and believe it or not the quote was $NZ 500. My son is over there and his company import and export product and he has found freight rates because of the shortage of freight aircraft worldwide has escalated prices as well as also significantly slowing freight movement. What used to take 3 days now takes a month.
We are finding the same thing shipping between the US and both Australia and New Zealand. US to Australia has always been absurdly expensive (don't talk to me about Christmas presents!) but now it's sloooooowwww as well. Even letters can sit in LA or at the PO in Melbourne for literally weeks, so bad we've got into the habit now of adding tracking to most of them. NZ can be patchy, just last week we sent and received back correspondence to Wellington within 1 week total turnaround. UPS down, DHL back so cost a few $ but the packages moved quickly.

But if you want something quickly and reliably get it from Singapore - 3-4 days isn't uncommon even with the cheapest method.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi again. Just a follow up. I enquired about a spare wheel well from UK. £75 for the part, £115 for shipping!
Anyone know where I can get a spare wheel well from without the exhorbitant shipping costs?

·
Registered
10,288 Posts
Hi all

I just got a quote from Classic Alfa in UK for some parts. The cost of the parts was £615. The quote for shipping was £590! What the hell?
Had anyone else found this or have a cheaper way to ship parts from UK?
It does have something to do with distance , weight and package volume.. The last time I looked on my globe you were almost exactly half way around the world from the UK.. If you guys in NZ are getting clobbered by frieght , I would be forming a consortium of Alfa parts hunters and set up a date once a month to place one order .. Might be a profitable business

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like that idea divotandtralee!
Who’s in?
I have ordered parts before, lots of them, and freight has never been so expensive.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bring in parts from UK

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
If the sellers use Interparcel or Parcel2Go, the prices are competitive and transparent. National postal services are slower but cheaper. Heck, I can still remember when a transatlantic phone call was an event. Getting things sent to anywhere on earth within a week is still a triumph of human ingenuity and enterprise, and is never going to be inexpensive.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.