Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a transmission with out the bell housing that needs to be shipped across the US. What is the best way to do this? box it? Wrap it? UPS/FEDEX? Estimated costs? This is new territory for me and would be a good answer will be good for the group.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
The Last Time I Shipped A Gearbox (also without bellhousing) I Fabricated A Wooden Crate/Box Out Of Cheap 1" X 1" Wood & Screws And Covered It With Cardboard, At That Time FedEx Was The Cheapest But I'm Sure That Varies Over Time.

-John

·
Super Moderator
12,306 Posts
I sent a GTA CR transmission to Richard Jemison in Florida by wrapping it tightly in plastic, lining a "correct size" (huge) cardboard box with plastic, then spraying a layer of "GREAT STUFF" expandable plastic foam in the box. I then laid the trans in the expanding and hardening foam, and sprayed additional cans around and over it, then covered that with the plastic box liner, and sealed the big box.
Richard has NEVER forgiven me. Took him days to free the transmission. Since then, this transmission shipping box has been reused. Several times.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
all great ideas thank you. I was thinking of finding a suitable box and using bubble wrap all around it, and sending it that way. The input shaft that sticks out is the hardest thing to wrap as with anything that can poke out...will when it gets to the other end.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Cut a piece of plywood the size of box end where shaft is. Maybe one for other end ad well.

Ken

·
Premium Member
1,637 Posts
I have also heard that Greyhound bus is the most economical shipping method for gearboxes, but that service does require visits to the bus station by both the sender and recipient. Not sure but they might show their rates on their web site.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is true that greyhound will ship as baggage a properly boxed item. There is a rate for that and it goes very well from my past usage. In my case the Greyhound station here closed down, was torn down and it being rebuilt as a new office space. So I am not sure where Greyhound stops here in town. It looks like I will have to do some investigation.
Thank you for reminding me of this service.
I have to box it and weight it, then I can source out the best way to ship. UPS does up to 75 pounds in a cardboard box. If you ship other than cardboard you pay a separate handling charge it won't go on the conveyor belts. (something I recently learned)

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Christopher,

I Just Shipped Four Wheels (steel) & Tires, I Strapped All Four Together And Then "wrapped" Them In Cardboard, The Weight Was 148 lbs (FedEx's Limit Is 150 before you have to ship freight - you don't want to do that $$$!), The Cost Was $143.00.

-John

·
Registered
344 Posts
I've shipped or received some weird sized items over the years. Two items (huge 4x4 plate steel bumpers and a classic vending machine) were shipped via Forward Air. Price was reasonable but I had to go to a local Forward Air facility and drop off / pick up the items. Two more items (1966 Thunderbird hood and trunk lid) were shipped by rail (freight) on a passenger train. I don't know how the ebay seller set up shipping but I had to go to my local passenger rail facility and pick them up. As I recall I paid shipping costs and they were very cheap. In every case, the item was wrapped well in plastic and placed in a durable cardboard box (the vending machine additionally was on a pallet). Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
A couple years ago I sent my transmission to Richard. I put it on a piece of plywood and then wired it in place. Also wired a 2x4 on top along the shaft. Took a large box and cut it down to make a custom fit. Filled it with other pieces of card board and taped the snot out of it.
Shipped it via a local UPS store. From Atlanta to pensacola it was about $60.
I had removed all oil from the case.
I drove to Pensacola to pick it up as I had other business there.

I thought the shipping cost was well worth the convenience.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you to all who posted on this. It is greatly appreciated information. There is a UPS/Fedex shipper about 9 miles from me and he has a box that we can cut down to fit the trans and then back fill it with cardboard/peanuts/bubble-wrap. Once we weigh it boxed up then we can figure the best way to ship...best being the most economical for the wallet.
I will post once we get it it shipped and on its way what the outcome is.

We used to have Railway Express when I was a kid. They were the green building down by the railroad station and they shipped everything. I think Greyhound and UPS did them in, as they were a lot closer and delivered to the front door, so you didn't have to go to town to get your packages.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I heard several people mention this Richard fellow? Is he the guy to go to when you want to rebuild an Alfa transaxle (GTV6)?? And the big question, How much? I guess another good question would be, where is he located?

·
Super Moderator
12,306 Posts
Pensacola, Florida. Richard Jemison. The BB members gearologist (and other skills). Alfar 7 on the BB. Send him a PM with your information.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts