Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am reassembling my (first) gearbox. As part of the rebuild I replaced the 3rd gear dog ring. Now the "washer" that was between the 3rd gear synchro hub (aka "tripod") and the circlip is too thick to let the circlip seat fully on the mainshaft, even after fully heating and pressing the synchro hub onto the main shaft.

A few questions:
1. While I see this part referred to as a "washer", I think it is actually a shim. Am I right? If so, then I just need a thinner shim.
2. Seems reasonable that when I change a dog gear that the shim that came out of the gearbox might need to be replaced with a different size shim. Yes?
3. Where do I get these shims? I do not see them available at the usual Alfa parts houses.

Photo credit: Vintre

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Some of us just have a stash that we have put away over the years to pull from that came out of junk gearboxes or swapped out for others. Yes, you would think that the same parts going back in would fit, but not always the case. If you changed bearings then another shim is needed. No idea where to get what you need.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK - that is the important part...knowing that it is not strange that this part (shim, washer, whatever one wants to call it) thickness might need to change upon reassembly.

If anyone reading has a couple of the "thin ones" (the one pictured is thicker than others in my gearbox) they'd care to part with, let me know.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
Dog teeth do not have anything to do with the height of the stack. Somewhere in the height of the stack something is not fully seated. Did you heat up the hubs when you installed them? Also the woodruff keys sometimes slip out a little when installing the hubs not letting the hub go on completely.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yep heated the synchro hub. It actually just slid into place the first two times I did it. Also did a final seating it in the press while it was hot just to make sure. I just removed the synchro hub and tried a third time, tapping the woodruff keys to make sure they are seated. Same result.

Some pics below, but at this point I am thinking maybe the wrong size shim/washer was installed to begin with? The circlip seats...it just doesn't seat completely. Looking at the pre-disassembly pictures I have, it also looks like the circlip didn't 100% seat then either, though it seated better than my picture below.

Only other thing I can try to do is make sure I put the synchro hub back in the exact same orientation as it came off and see what happens. But, as far I know, it doesn't matter which direction it goes on on this older style, non-moly gearbox. (And as long as it is lined up with the other synchro hubs.)

Below are pics of it fully seated without the washer in place, then partially seated with the washer in place.

Before shim installed:

After shim installed - note wider gap in the circlip indicating it is not seated completely:

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
If you can take a punch and finish tapping in the snap ring. Thats what I would do. As it must have been that way from before.

Or you can file down the height of the shim.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, tried the punch before with no luck. And freezing it to make it shrink a bit. Also no luck. Gonna make another run at it tonight and see how it all goes.

Good to know that filing down is acceptable. May come to that.

Thanks for the help for the first timer here - much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally solved. Some combination of putting the synchro hub in the same orientation it came out, freezing the washer and circlip, letting the synchro hub cool (which I had been doing before as well), and much tapping of the circlip with a punch finally got it in place.

Thanks again for the guidance. 4 gears to go. Hopefully fewer questions on those. ;-)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts