Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing a valve check/adjust on the Spider, and wanted to fashion a nice printout for the file. Thought the AlfaCentro calculation page would be good for that, and give the required info. Unfortunately, I can get the page up, but once inputting the figures in the blank spaces the page doesn't calculate. I s'pose the page is just archived now, and not really active...? Is this so or is it being hosted elsewhere?

Have measured the clearances, so am about to get a new digi caliper to measure the current shims--and figure out how many I need to buy.... :confused:

Thanks,

Adam

·
Registered
what part?
10,245 Posts
hey go to everything about alfas, i just posted a modified digital caliper photos..

·
Supporting Vendor
4,423 Posts
DI s'pose the page is just archived now, and not really active...? Is this so or is it being hosted elsewhere?
I "retired" AlfaCentro.com years ago as I didn't have time to maintain the site to the standards I thought it deserved.

Last year the site was purchased (the domain name and old content) by someone who was going to revive the site and work on some new content. They have re-hosted the old content - beyond that I don't know what their plans or timetable are for anything else.

·
Premium Member
22,350 Posts
I don't see how a caliper will work. You need a micrometer, with a small round anvil, to get inside the cup shape on the underside of the shim.
Andrew

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Andrew,

Check out Bianchi's pix of his caliper. With removing a bit of material from one side of the caliper allows the shim skirt to not interfere with measuring the thickness of the shim face. My luck, I'd probably slice off one of the caliper arms trying to mod it to accommodate the shim....:eek: Anyone have a micrometer to lend....

·
Premium Member
22,350 Posts
You can buy mics pretty stinking cheap nowadays. "Snap gauges" work really well too; I got a used 60s Mitutoyo in its original box on ebay for like $20; its accuracy exactly matches my mic.
Andrew

·
Supporting Vendor
4,423 Posts
You can buy mics pretty stinking cheap nowadays. "Snap gauges" work really well too; I got a used 60s Mitutoyo in its original box on ebay for like $20; its accuracy exactly matches my mic.
Andrew
In my experience, a cheap mic usually works pretty well, but cheap snap gauges, like the one Harbor Freight sells, don't really cut it for measuring shims.

·
Premium Member
22,350 Posts
With good used ones at the price my Mitutoyo is, there's no need to go HFT for precise instruments. I'm with you Joe; in my view HBF is for big crude stuff that doesn't need to be precise.
I'm still using the $9 Blackhawk 1" mic my dad bought in 1971.
Andrew

1 - 11 of 11 Posts