Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently put a gearbox from a 1750 in my 10503 Duetto. It's never been apart, shifts great, but has an audible harmonic type rattle at the shifting tower that can change (and sometimes disappear) with pressure on the shift lever. Not a worry but I'm curious. My guess is that the reorientation of the convex baffle washers is the cause but I noticed in the 1750 parts book that the the venting blocks show shims and no shims were on this box. Anybody familiar with this issue?

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
You're probably describing the rattle that sometimes occurs due to vibration in the push-down reverse gear lock mechanism. You can have this deleted if you're completely sure that you won't grab reverse when shifting from 5th to 4th ...

My car had this issue addressed before I bought it in 2000 so I cannot describe precisely how to do this, but wiser and more experienced heads might chime in at this point!

Alex.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
I'm with Alex; sounds like the reverse lockout mechanism in the shift lever. Since the 1750 gearbox has a reverse lockout built into the shift tower, the use of a 1750 (or later) one piece shift lever should cure the problem.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I hadn't thought about the innerds of the shift lever being the cause. I'ii round up a matching lever and see what happens. I'm still curious as to the shims shown in the 1750 parts book that don't show in the 1600 parts book, especialy when the trunion part number is the same. One of those things I now have to understand.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts