Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a used transmission for my 78 Spider for temporary use until I can rebuild my original transmission. The used trans. seems pretty solid, not even bad on 2nd gear. The problem is it pops out of first. If I shift down to second and then back to first it seems to stay engaged pretty well. When shifting to first it hits the counsel.

Is there any adjustment I can make to get this shifting into first better without removing the trans.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Did you install new engine and trans mounts? If you didn't it could be interference with the COUNSEL.

·
Super Moderator - Alfa Romeo Expert
16,232 Posts
First thing to do is to adjust the shift lever and/or console so the two do not touch each other when selecting any gear.

·
Super Moderator
11,221 Posts
First thing to do is to adjust the shift lever and/or console so the two do not touch each other when selecting any gear.
Right! We're betting that the internals of your replacement transmission are OK - they tend to be pretty reliable - and that the popping out of 1st problem is caused by the lever interfering with the cut-out in the console.

So, is the lever/boot hitting the cut-out in the console when it's in first? If so, is it interfering at the top or the side of the cut-out?

If it's hitting on the side, you can adjust it by loosening the pinch bolt that holds the base of the shift lever to that little stub that comes out of the transmission. You must have had this apart when you did the swap. Try loosening that bolt and rotating the lever to the right. But, this type of interference is more common with 2nd or reverse, since the cut-out is narrower at the bottom. So....

If it's hitting the top of the cut-out, then the console needs to be moved forward. I assume you had to pull the console in order to remove & replace the transmission. Perhaps it didn't get reinstalled as snugly forward as it needs to be.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The console was as far forward as it would go, I even attempted to adjust the dash further forward to no avail.

What I ended up doing was heating the shift lever and bending it back about 3/4 of a inch making sure to protect the rubber bushing while heating.

No more popping out of first or shifting problems just a bit of a different feel to the shifting.

·
Registered
622 Posts
one other thing

I did a clutch job a couple of years ago and replaced the trans mount , but didn't do the motor mounts immediatly. I had the same problem with first, but what i did was a little simpler. I shimmed the four bolts under the trans support with 1/8th inch thick washers to drop it a little. This worked fine til I got to the mounts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts