Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife gave me a nice wooden shifter knob she got from Italy. It has a plastic insert instead of the OEM rubber. Does anyone know the trick for installing this without damaging it?

Dave

·
Registered
665 Posts
Dave,
If it is the dark wood one with 5 speeds and reverse etched in, it may be a tad too small. In theory, it should just push on over the shifter. But, as in the case of my '93, it was too small. I ended up drilling the hole larger and then reaming it out with a circular file until it would fit.
You may have to wet it to get it to slip on even after the reaming. I wanted a tight fit.

·
Registered
412 Posts
RedSpider said:
Dave,
If it is the dark wood one with 5 speeds and reverse etched in, it may be a tad too small. In theory, it should just push on over the shifter. But, as in the case of my '93, it was too small. I ended up drilling the hole larger and then reaming it out with a circular file until it would fit.
You may have to wet it to get it to slip on even after the reaming. I wanted a tight fit.
Thanks for the idea... I got one of those as a gift several years ago and found it wouldn't fit. I never got around to try returning it.

---Eric

1 - 4 of 4 Posts