Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I had been having issues lately with the shift lever on my '84 Veloce hitting the leading edge of the console and not fully engaging 1st and 3rd gears. After spending a considerable time this weekend renovating my console, aligning the shift lever and all of the boots, and carefully putting everything back together, I'm still having the same problem, though not quite as bad, but I do have to use quite a bit of force when engaging 1st gear and 3rd gear in order for them not to slip out of gear.

I've read that weak motor mounts can cause this problem, but my motor mounts are only a year old, so that's not the issue. I have also read that a weak transmission mount can do the same thing, but I fail to see how that can be. It seems to me that if the trans mount is failing, the rear end of the transmission would drop down causing the shift lever to move AWAY from the leading edge, not toward the leading edge... unless there's something about Alfa transmission mounts that I don't know.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

David

·
Administrator
17,066 Posts
The console has some wiggle-ability when installed. Try loosening all the mounting screws and wiggle the console assembly - pushing it forwards so that you have some extra clearance for the movement into 1st, 3rd or 5th. Then snug the screws down.

Another place for slight adjustment is where the shift lever bolts onto the stub sticking out of the transmission. Loosen that bolt, wiggle the shift lever backwards and re-tighten the bolt.

Attachments

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Eric,

That particular bolt, 2100.20192, was the start of my whole weekend project as I knew that needed to be tightened in order to get rid of the sloppiness in the shifter. I had a few millimeters of back and forth play in it and pulled it back as far as I could, but it still won't go into 1st or 3rd gear and I've got the console as far forward and snug as possible. Very frustrating.

I'm going to take a look at the transmission mount and replace it since I don't know if it's the original or its age. Maybe that will help.

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
81 Posts
shifter travel

One further thought on console positioning, my '73 Spider shift lever was bunching the aftermarket leather boot trying for second or fourth to the point of rocking the console. I needed to remove the inner metal ring, a backing plate, I guess, and the excess seam material on the boot itself, before there was room to get all the gears. I pop riveted the boot to the console, so I know I'll be cursed when I'm a PO. Shifts fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts