Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm feeling very dense about this, but I'm attempting to put on a new shift boot assembly ordered from IAP, including the retainer ring that they provide which is very different than the (presumably) stock ring on the car (78 Spider).

Anyway, I just can't figure out how this thing is supposed to sit in there, where the clips are supposed to go, and what the corner prongs are for. The ring seems too small for the opening. (I'm usually better at puzzles than this...)

Does anyone have any photos of how it goes in, or can recall the instructions? Here is the item I'm talking about, IAP item No. 60717971:

Alfa Romeo, Fiat and Lancia Leather Shift Boots

Thanks so much ahead of time.

·
Premium Member
13,466 Posts
I recently fitted a new IAP boot into a new IAP reproduction console. Nothing fit. My solution was to cut 4 strips of plastic from an old side panel. Each strip is a bit shorter than an inside length of the boot hole in the console. I sandwiched the boot between the strips of plastic and the insides of console hole and put 2 sheet metal screws in each piece. It has worked out fine.
Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
2 x 88 Verde's

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
As an aside, you can get a bit of stretch on a tight vinyl part by heating with a hairsyrer or the like, or if it's leatehr, wet it.

Won't do much for the plastic or metal bits obviously, but it sure makes getting the soft stuff more cooperative.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the ideas. I finally just went back to the old ring, which doesn't fit all that well with the thicker leather they use for the new shift boots, but at least it appears it will hold (cross my fingers).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts