Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boot and brake cover were pretty trashed so I put an ad on CL to find someone who could replicate them in black perforated marine grade vinyl. I got two offers of "Sure, I can do those for you for about $250." to which I replied I was sure I could buy new for that.

Another guy said he could do it for $75, so I took him up on it and his work was great. I provided the vinyl and thread since that's what I wanted. I'll post pictures soon but wanted to let you all know that if you're in the market for custom upholstery or anything, he's willing to create and mail. He sent pictures while making patterns and as he made the boot and brake cover, to make sure it was what I wanted. I specified that I wanted the boot in 4 sections with double rows of red stitching and he did so without problems. He did mention that he thought the leather in the original boot, although old and worn, was very high quality, which was nice to hear. He's local to the northern VA area and has a strong background in leather garments, and said he can supply just about any kind of leather, etc.

If you're interested, PM me and I'll give you his email address. I will not be in the middle of anything in terms of contact or $$, just trying to help out a very capable person who is looking for extra work at what (IMO) was a very reasonable price. It goes without saying you'll have to negotiate for whatever it is you want.

I highly recommend him and he was thrilled at the prospect of additional work from our club and forum.

Don

·
Registered
319 Posts
Check out the eBay seller "the-tuning-shop-team". They'll custom-make anything you like and ship from the UK I've had them make boots for my Alfa's, 350Z, and 635 CSi. Just as an example, shift and brake boots in Alcantara suede for my 350Z cost around $35 shipped, and I got them about a week after I ordered. You can request the type of leather, color of leather, and color of stitching.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Howard, I couldn't find that they supported our old Spiders, but their boot prices for other cars were indeed pretty good!

Check out the eBay seller "the-tuning-shop-team". They'll custom-make anything you like and ship from the UK I've had them make boots for my Alfa's, 350Z, and 635 CSi. Just as an example, shift and brake boots in Alcantara suede for my 350Z cost around $35 shipped, and I got them about a week after I ordered. You can request the type of leather, color of leather, and color of stitching.

·
Registered
203 Posts
It looks nice, Don, but why vinyl and not leather? I have leather in mine and it looks/feels/smells so much better. One of my major gripes about Alfas is that they were priced like "luxury" cars, but the materials were/are just so c.h.e.a.p.

On a similar note, if there was a way to cover the S3 instrument binnacle...that cheap, hard, black scratchy yucky plastic....with something softer and more inviting, that would be great.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It looks nice, Don, but why vinyl and not leather? I have leather in mine and it looks/feels/smells so much better. One of my major gripes about Alfas is that they were priced like "luxury" cars, but the materials were/are just so c.h.e.a.p.

On a similar note, if there was a way to cover the S3 instrument binnacle...that cheap, hard, black scratchy yucky plastic....with something softer and more inviting, that would be great.
Hey Grazie!

Had originally planned on leather but the seats are vinyl with red thread so I wanted to stay in theme and loved the 60's look of the perforated stuff I found. Plus, it's zero maintenance. I'll probably use in on the doors too.

Agree on the instrument pod: looks and feels cheap. Not sure how easy it would be to retro-fit a cover though, with all those curves. I much prefer the dual tube look of the S2s.

Don

·
Registered
103 Posts
Looks great. I too was considering improving the interior at some point. I bought and installed the tan leather shifter boot from centerline. More of a job than I originally thought but it looks great. Has anyone used interior paint? I would be looking for the tan for a 91'.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Looks great. I too was considering improving the interior at some point. I bought and installed the tan leather shifter boot from centerline. More of a job than I originally thought but it looks great. Has anyone used interior paint? I would be looking for the tan for a 91'.
If you're going to do any sort of interior painting, use the professional-grade products from SEM. I can get them locally at NAPA, which has a body shop supply department, but many vendors also sell SEM online.

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts