Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started having what I though was starved of fuel problems in Sophia ('83 Spider Veloce). So I changed out the whole in tank assembly (sock, pump, step down, sender and gasket). And I also swapped out the in line pump and filter.
She ran great. All sorts of revs and power. Till about 6 miles into a spirited drive and she started to bog down at higher revs.
Then I started to smell lots of fuel.
Then she really started to bog down. Put the hazards on and limped off the freeway.
It's like she was running real rich (even flooding) when engine came to temperature.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be really appreciated.

·
Administrator
17,713 Posts
Buy, borrow or steal a fuel pressure gauge. Perhaps first check the Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR). Remove the small vacuum hose from the FPR and check for the presence of raw gas (wetness, sniff). There should not be gas on the vacuum side of the FPR. Also make sure the fuel return hose is not clogged/kinked. A blocked fuel return line will raise the fuel pressure.

2.3 bar ~ 33 psi
2.7 bar ~ 39 psi

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guys I love this forum! And the amazing helpful people on here.
I was reading through the forum and found someone who was having similar issues.
Someone else responded to him that it might be a blocked fuel tank vent line.
To test - take the gas cap off and take the car for a good spirited run. If no problems arise after the 10-15 minute mark (as before) then you've got a fuel tank vent problem to sort out.
I took the cap off. Took her for a good rip for about 30 minutes: Zero issues. No flooding bog down. No smell of fuel in the car. She ran FANTASTIC.
so I've got what appears to be a fuel tank vent tube problem.
They are beautiful and quirky works of fast art - aren't they.
Nice job Sophia!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Guys I love this forum! And the amazing helpful people on here.
I was reading through the forum and found someone who was having similar issues.
Someone else responded to him that it might be a blocked fuel tank vent line.
To test - take the gas cap off and take the car for a good spirited run. If no problems arise after the 10-15 minute mark (as before) then you've got a fuel tank vent problem to sort out.
I took the cap off. Took her for a good rip for about 30 minutes: Zero issues. No flooding bog down. No smell of fuel in the car. She ran FANTASTIC.
so I've got what appears to be a fuel tank vent tube problem.
They are beautiful and quirky works of fast art - aren't they.
Nice job Sophia!
My mechanic ordered a bunch of fuel lines. I had the same issue and this is what he did to troubleshoot the problem:

Fuel system is perfect , read with gauge , tried with cap off that eliminated any venting possibilities, cat not likely, massive amount of small vac leaks seems to be the prob computer switches modes as soon as it gets warm and the throttle metering plate takes over , vac leaks are boogieing idle air mix , when it starts stude ring you can zing it past the bad idle but then it’s drawing real amounts of air and throttle plate moves due to increased air flow , all the probs are really happening at idle or lower rpms ya just can’t drive it at 2 to 3k as an idle speed which is where it clears up.

To find this issue, at the end, he ran a smoke test and found several areas in the vac lines that needed replacing.

Hope this helps

1 - 4 of 4 Posts