Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear friends , I am in the enviable position of having a nice rust free low mileage 1990 alfa spider quadrifoglio, that might be terminal, due to ONE part that seems to be impossible to find.! The part is a one year only "front camshaft v belt pulley"
I have (as well as the alfa shop in which it sits) spent 2 days searching for one in USA and Europe to no avail. I have had the car for a year and it seems then when the water pump was changed by previous owner now deceased the pulley was not tightened properly...it vibrated for a long time and eventually shattered . I am still not giving up finding the part, but lucky for me this was a one year only part, for the early motronic system. If anyone has any ideas they incredibly are welcomed . It sad , I have had many vintage sport cars in my time and this is my first alfa. stupendous feel when it runs ....but at this point I don't know if mine will ever again !

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
The 90 model front crank pulley is very hard to come by. Some people have bought a whole car just to get the crank pulley off of it.

You can run it with the 91 to 93 pulley. It will work fine. You just won't have the front v belt groove for the A/C. It will have the v belt groove for the alt/ water pump. This way at least you can drive it while looking for the correct pulley.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Are you sure it's not "Crankshaft v belt pulley"? No Alfa from this period has any belt drive from the cams.

Photos of the remains of your pulley would help. Or look at this thread.

The 91-94 version with AC drive is available here. For a price. A machinist can cut away the unneeded portion. Or perhaps make one from scratch.

·
Administrator
17,055 Posts
Have you tried Alfa Parts Exchange? Lousy web site but probably worth a phone call.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jim G that might be a good alternative if the later ones do work ...air conditioning in a sports car is almost irrelevant ! I actually am surprised that my shop has not considered that option . if it works then I would have time to bring it back to stock specs

·
Administrator
12,587 Posts
Yeah just get one machined. Would be an easy task for a relatively competent machinist. They don't even have to start from scratch as there are literally thousands available that engineering companies purchase and bore for their application. See attachment. Alfa Romeo probably didn't even make that pulley, just ordered it.

Or better yet, convert to a toothed belt drive as superior to a V belt.
Pete

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
Jim G that might be a good alternative if the later ones do work ...air conditioning in a sports car is almost irrelevant ! I actually am surprised that my shop has not considered that option . if it works then I would have time to bring it back to stock specs
It will. The only difference between the two is the front part for the a/c drive belt.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will talk tomorrow morning with my mechanic and try an opt for a 91-93 pulley minus aircon . I would like to have a machine shop build a replica but I don't know where to find the blue prints. Anyway you have all come to the plate with great support, suggestion and knowledge in true alfa spirit. I have owned a TR 6 , XKE ( 65), fiat 124 Spyder, and a Z3 ....none of them have been as much fun as the Alfa
Thank you !!!

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
You can use the 91 to 93 as a pattern for the hub to the water pump belt groove. Then use the front half of the 90 model for the a/c part.

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,568 Posts
What about converting to the 91-93 style? I'm not sure what else needs changing, possibly the AC pulley?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
620 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
That an 82 to 89.

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
The 1990 only looks like this.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok i think I have solved the problem. I will put a 91 pulley minus air conditioning as a temporary solution. Apparently an friend of mine in Italy ( Turin) has found a machine shop that will produce any discontinued alfa part at reasonable prices , Don't have details yet due to covid 19 but as soon as I do I
will post the machine shop information ..which could be handy to many of us

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
The toothed ring is just pressed on to the pulley. So the machine shop can reuse that part. It is very critical to get the toothed ring pressed on in the correct position. The gap between the teeth is what gives the computer its reference points.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Dear friends , I am in the enviable position of having a nice rust free low mileage 1990 alfa spider quadrifoglio, that might be terminal, due to ONE part that seems to be impossible to find.! The part is a one year only "front camshaft v belt pulley"
I have (as well as the alfa shop in which it sits) spent 2 days searching for one in USA and Europe to no avail. I have had the car for a year and it seems then when the water pump was changed by previous owner now deceased the pulley was not tightened properly...it vibrated for a long time and eventually shattered . I am still not giving up finding the part, but lucky for me this was a one year only part, for the early motronic system. If anyone has any ideas they incredibly are welcomed . It sad , I have had many vintage sport cars in my time and this is my first alfa. stupendous feel when it runs ....but at this point I don't know if mine will ever again !
I’m certain a competent machine shop could build a pulley and attach it, either welding or bolting. If this drive is for the A/C exclusively, there is the “insane” alternative:
Toyota (at least Prius from 2014 have electric a/c rotary compressors. You might want to consider removing the belt driven compressor altogether and install the electric compressor. A few wires, relay and conversion hoses... and away you go!
IF you really need A/C in the spider......

1 - 20 of 36 Posts