Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Yeah anyone knows their disappearance? My 1979 Alfa Sprint Veloce has many parts from them, including a racing headers, rims, etc. I still have the car! Another guy asked where I got the rims and I told him Shankle but where are they in this 2015? Obviously the Alfa population maybe dying off. Such business may not sustain at all. My email is [email protected]
Like noted in the first few posts, they have been out of business for almost 20 years now. I've had quite a few parts from them on both my Spider and GTV6. With so few Alfa's sold in the states it didn't make economic sense to keep going. With Honda, Nissan and Toyota selling the bulk of the vehicles at that time, that's where the performance market went. Then when Subaru came on big, that market was the place to be, not a small Italian firm.

·
Premium Member
6,349 Posts
I always waited for the new Shankle catalog with more anticipation than the latest issue of Playboy, heck those were every month but the new Shankle catalogs were a once a year deal :) I'm pretty sure that's were I got the 77mm Mondial pistons for my Giulietta.

·
Premium Member
3,933 Posts
Shortly after the AlfaRicambi/Shankle merger, AR's newsletters started listing trick Honda parts under the trade name of Lightspeed. My understanding(and somebody please correct me iffn I'm wrong) is that the Lightspeed venture was a bust and Brad had to start laying off employees. AR shrank rapidly. I have saved all of my Shankle and Alfa Ricambi catalogs and newsletters and would be happy to ship them to someone who is more computer savvy than me.They contain a wealth of information.
Jim.

You are right about the Lightspeed venture. When I quit working on Alfa's in 1996 before heading off to wooden boat building school. I talked to Gene who was the salesperson the Alfa independent shop I worked for always dealt with. He hinted that they were heading for trouble because of the venture. I also think Alfa pulling out didn't help much as they did get a lot of parts from Alfa.

I have always wondered what happened to Gene. He is/was a nice guy, very knowledgeable and always willing to give quantity discounts. As we usually bought at least 1000.00 to 1500.00 a month in parts. When he would call us at the end of the month when he was short on meeting his quota. We would always help him meet his quota so he would get his bonus. One of the reasons I have a set of 5 gta magnesium rims. I think later generations have lost the art of you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours. That has always paid off well for me in business.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Someone in the parts for sale section wanted a Shankle Sure Start. He found the AR Ricambi phone number and says he called and ordered one. This was 5 days ago. Whaaa...?

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Someone in the parts for sale section wanted a Shankle Sure Start. He found the AR Ricambi phone number and says he called and ordered one. This was 5 days ago. Whaaa...?

Alfa Ricambi is still owned by Brad Bunch and appears to still be doing business. He's a nice guy and a real Alfa enthusiast. I think he's in Fresno.

·
Registered
442 Posts
These are great memories. I bought my first Alfa, a'74 spider, brand new in early 1976. This was the period when rather than update to current California smog and bumper laws, they just kept marketing "1974 Spiders." The Feds finally caught on and I bought one of the last ones from the dealer in Pasadena.
I think I dropped by Shankle at least once a month until I had bought out every upgrade that I could afford!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I just found out that Shankle was in Chatsworth. I worked in Chatsworth from 2002 to 2010. They were gone by then, but I'm amazed at how many of these specialty shops were in Chatsworth. Milodon, Isky, QMP!

·
Premium Member
6,349 Posts
I can remember waiting for the next Shankle catalog with as much hungry anticipation as for the next issue of Playboy.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts