Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to buy a set of Shankle Super Sport springs for a Spider or GTV, Shankle part numbers AL4733 and AL4732.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Ed,

Performatek has a comparable spring...part 105SS-R and 105SS-F.

Description : "About 15%stiffer than stock, and lowers ~ 1". Ideal for street and suitable for track."

I don't have any old Shankle catalogs but I bet they're similar.

·
Premium Member
14,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. The Shankle SS fronts are about 50% stiffer than stock and the rears are about 90% stiffer - 580/134 compared with 390/70. I will ask Andy for specifications.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Thanks. The Shankle SS fronts are about 50% stiffer than stock and the rears are about 90% stiffer - 580/134 compared with 390/70. I will ask Andy for specifications.
Ed, Alfa Ricambi is still, I think, in business. They bought all the Shankle products/specs and etc. If you contact Brad Bunch at the Arricambi website he may be able to supply you with some real Shankle spec springs. As I recall, they came in 3 different versions.

·
Richard Jemison
7,394 Posts
Spring rates

Ed, here`s a thought.............

Spring rate Vs. wheel rate on thes cars.

You rode in the Montreal coupe. I Extended the ball joints to get more track without changing the wheel rotation/king pin axis. (avoiding increased tire sweep)

The Springs used were 1100 inlb springs, but wheel rate is only about 750 inlb due to suspension lever rate. It doesn`t ride harshly at all.

However the handling improvement with this "soft" wheel rate is attributal to the drop spindles on this car which are about 2.5x the typical "drop" done on 105/115 spindles.

With a typical 3/4" to 1" drop spindle (as you have) a spring rate with stock suspension arm length of about 850-900 will give you a good handling street car that won`t churn the milk when Marsha goes to the grocery store.

Thaose and a pair of cut down stock rear springs will handle nicely...

·
Premium Member
14,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hi Richard,
I think that I have too much turn in under-steer and I want to try softer springs to see if the front tires will bite a bit better.

The stock rear springs are 70. If I cut them 1 coil then they will be 77. The IAP rear springs are about 180. I suspect that Shankle knew what he was doing when he sold rear springs of 114 and 134 and I would like to try those.

I was most impressed with the way that your car accelerated out of the hairpin at Sebring and I felt the rear squat under power. Mine does not do that, it just wants to spin.

My cold tire pressures are 25 front and 28 rear.

·
Richard Jemison
7,394 Posts
Stuff

I was most impressed with the way that your car accelerated out of the hairpin at Sebring and I felt the rear squat under power. Mine does not do that, it just wants to spin.

My cold tire pressures are 25 front and 28 rear.
First tire pressure should always be about 4-5 lbs higher in front. They do the work. Reduced pressure in the rear will increase tire`s bite both longitudinally, and laterally. Put 30 in the front and 25 in the rear. Just that change will make a big difference.

Don`t lower the front spring rate. Loose the swaybar on the rear. Then it will not oversteer on hard exit acceleration.
Take one swaybar link off and wire-tie it out of the way. Test drive it again.

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
My Super came to me with IA springs with 1125 fronts and was harsh riding on "B" roads.

Got a pair of 600s from Dave Rugh.

Mo' better.

·
Premium Member
14,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Don`t lower the front spring rate. Loose the swaybar on the rear. Then it will not oversteer on hard exit acceleration.
I removed the rear sway bar a couple of years ago. It improved things but not enough.

First tire pressure should always be about 4-5 lbs higher in front.
I thought that increasing the front tire pressure was more likely increase understeer provided that they were not too low to begin with. Carroll Smith said "work on the end of the car that you want to fix". I want to fix the corner entry understeer and the throttle oversteer. It seems to me that they are both associated with springs that are too stiff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts