Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

This weekend saw me finally getting my alfa back on track! Did a few laps, and everything seems to be working. Lots of fine tuning left to do tough!

Just a question on setting timing. I set the timing by ear, as I was at the track and didn't have any info on where it needs to be.

I plan on running her on 95 octane unleaded, can anybody tell me the correct timing for the 2litre motor? And maybe a good way of setting it? (hot engine/ cold engine etc)

Thanks!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Strommies,The best is obviously on a dyno...
Other than that it largely depends on the state of tune of the engine..
Big cr,big cams,lots of revs-totally different ign. advance curve than normal..
Were you at Z yestrday?
BigKriss.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey!

Yes was at Z, such a nice place to practice at! Engine pretty much stock, except it was flowed by the PO.

You don't happen to have a dyno I can abuse do you? ;) Dont think I have space for a dyno session in my budget at the moment. Still have to get my licence, and get the car scrutineered before the Wesbank race next month...

Also lots of silly things like servicing the Fire extinguisher etc...

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
one way is to advance the timing till it pings under a heavy load, then back it off a little. just before it pings is the max output.
cliff

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah - thats what I meant with 'setting it by ear', just hoped to maybe have a slightly more technical way of knowing? Either way, I only had 2 sessions to run in / test the engine, so I never had her on full throttle, so will only really be able to test for pinging next practice

1 - 5 of 5 Posts