Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I' m drivin a Spica injected Spider for nearly five years now.
Last weekend a friend of mine stayed at my place and naturally we did talk about Alfa, and about settin the fuel mixture.
I always did set the fuel mixture according to the numbers Wes Ingram is giving in his manual, using a gasanalyser. I always did the setting with the airbox off the engine.
My friend meant if the numbers given were supposed to be measured with the airbox on the engine that this would make quiet a bit of a diffence.
Because the airbox will reduce the breathing capacity of the engine, and so richen the mixture.

Any Ideas?
And what would be the difference measured in CO?
Or are they supposed to measured with airbox off?
Even the factory manual is not stating this one clearly.

Greetings from Germany

Bernhard

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
What color are your spark plugs?
Does the car run well?

·
Administrator
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I talked to Wes.

Fuel settings are supposed to be done with the airbox on the engine.

Greetings from Germany

Bernahrd

·
Administrator
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quiet easy. With the airbox on you can easily reach the FCS undo the cable unsrew the securing nut and set the fuel mixture.
Another way would be remove the airbox undo the cable and loosen the securing nut. Put the airbox back on. Reach out for the FCS and turn it to achieve the correct fuel mixture. Mark the position of the FCS, undo the airbox and tighten the securing nut.

Bernhard

Your language is not what we like here on the board.

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
Since I don't have a gas analyzer, I've always used the somewhat frustrating method where you rotate the solenoid in both directions till it "sours" - then set it at the mid point. Should that method be done with the air box in place as well? Wes's manual doesn't mention or imply that (at least in my 17 yr old version) but I may give it a try next time around.

·
Administrator
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since I don't have a gas analyzer, I've always used the somewhat frustrating method where you rotate the solenoid in both directions till it "sours" - then set it at the mid point. Should that method be done with the air box in place as well?
Yes

1 - 8 of 8 Posts