Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay yall - 80 year old newbe so be gentle. How to adjust idle rpm on 1987 Alfa Romero Spider Quad. Have ressurected from a accident and 1 5 year garage vacation. Initially it idled at 11 -12oorpm. Yesterday afrer 3rd tank of gas it was idleing at 1400 rpm. So before I go on an excursion how may I decrease idle on fuel injection without upsetting all the other computer inputs. Thanks ye old aint giving up 43 year aviation pilot who has chosan this auto to keep me involved and it does but I appareciate and use this venue continuouslllly and thanks to everyone although I notice entries go back along ways. Hey I'm an Alfa owner walla. Mort

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,657 Posts
Welcome. Here is a great article on the L-Jetronic fuel injection system. Idle adjustment is pretty easy and is on page 45.

It's not uncommon to have to replace the idle adjustment o-ring. Hardest part about this is finding the right o-ring.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I would add one other thing to check. I had a spider with a similar issue (5 year garage vacation) though it would also accelerate unevenly. The intake hose was cracked. Given how long your car sat, it is certainly possible. Once I installed a new hose, car ran/idled perfectly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you thank you. I have replaced all hoses as a preventative measure as well as all fuel componentss. Just had instrument cluster repaired and new top retarded for some fun (living in the past) ridintg. Will do the (thank to the guy who wrote this epistle on L Jet . He deserves mucho applause and contributions from where I gently emerge out from under my vehicle. Thank you for your timely response. Mort

·
Registered
259 Posts
The TPS (throttle position switch) is also a very important part of the idle system. Page 33 of the tech info. document describes it. Good luck!

·
Administrator
17,154 Posts
thank to the guy who wrote this epistle on L Jet . He deserves mucho applause...
Rumor is that despite being very smart & extremely handsome, he is too modest to toot his own horn...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts